Aftermarket tach in non-tach car

Status
Not open for further replies.

downinit25i

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2010
Texas
Do you guys know of any good packages out there to add a tach to the cluster of a Monte that came with only the face plate? I see some original tachs and sensors on ebay, but you never really know what you're getting. Has anybody found a good tach that can fit in the dash, preferably something with an inductive pickup too.

Yeah, a guy named Jeff Davidson did it years ago. Here's a pic to show what he used and how it looks. Not sure what kind of pickup it uses, though. Look at the second pic down.

http://jeffd.50megs.com/tach_pictures.htm

Thanks, I took a quick look and found the gauge but only in pedestal mount form. It looks like they may have discontinued the dash mount version a while ago. Wiring is power, ground, and one wire to the negative terminal of the coil. I'm going to see if I can find one of these in a parts store to get a look at it, maybe I can just get it out of the mount and make it work.

I, too, noticed it was pedestal mount. I also noticed it was a 3 3/4" tach so any tach that size could also be done that way. Since most tachs are 3 3/8" I'd say it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt the same way.

Good luck and happy hunting.

I saw a guy on ebay selling 3-3/8" Autometer 2300 Dash Mounts for $40 plus $10 shipping. I have another question about the wiring scheme. There are a couple of plugs on the side of the distributor looks like C- GRD B+, then under that TACH and BAT. Sounds like I would just need to splice my sensor wire into the wire plugged into the C- slot?

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k180/downinit25i/IMG_5881.jpg

I suppose I could just go with a used tach, but then I have to get the wire with a plug and tach filter, correct? Those actually aren't cheap. What does the filter do?

AS far as the connections: +12v, gnd, and tach. The tach wire can be connected/spliced to the tach wire on the dist that feeds back to the ECM.. I've never filtered any tach that I've coneected oveer the years -- a filter could just be a basic cap/ind filter..

The tach filter was on the cars than came factory with tachs. Just as foxtrot_lima_bravo said, hook the signal wire right to the *tach* position on the HEI cap. 12v, ground, and light would be the other 3 wires. You can use either a female spade terminal to hook up the tach wire or go to a salvage yard and grab any GM connector with enough wire to splice into. It will be a white wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor