All Wheel Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerhungry oxymoron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
Has anyone converted their g-body to all wheel drive. I've been thinking about using an awd setup from a blazer or astro in my Malibu build. I know this could be extremely difficult if I'm not prepared for it. Having so many similarities with the blazer will make it a little easier and it also means that all the parts are already available. I may be crazy for trying this but I like to be different and I like a challenge.

I think you'd have to use a Bravada chassis/driveline, as it's the only chassis that comes close to being bolted under a g-body, and have awd. The blazer/sonoma had shift on the fly electric. Bravada and blazer are the same chassis, so I guess you could make it work.... with enough time and money.

I've already done my research on the differences between the Bravada,S-10, Blazer, and Astro. There were some S-10s and Blazers that came as awd but only in the LT model. Even in the 4x4 the transfer case and front differential is the same on most models. They all used the same borg warner transfer case with a 3.23 open front diff. The drive shafts are even the same. The astro's front suspension is the same as a B-body. I was really trying to find out if someone had actually tried it or at least spent some time thinking about it and might know what kind of problems I might face if I attempt it.

A lot of fabrication would be needed. You would have to cut the front crossmember at the very least for room for the front diff., not to mention make sure you had the right suspension geometry. It may be possible to graft the front portion of a T-Series frame in, but I haven't measured anything to even guess at it.

There is a Gbody around York PA (or was there) Had cyclone suspension its awd . Talk about maling spome G's at take off. had a 350 in it . As for what was needed frame was basically custom from mid way forward .And the floor raised for clearance Sat like a stock GBody . The Small vans are awd also there r components out there.

So it looks like if I want to do this I should probably get an awd s-10 and just use its front end or at least the some of it to fabricate a front end for my malibu.

Either way i say if you have the time, go for it. The money can always be found, even if its over a long period of time.

As long as it's all done right, the end result will be a ****ing feat of engineering, and an awesome car.

Problem is with using a Syclone or Typhoon front setup is the fact that they are the GN's of the S-series communities. You can find a totalled one but chances are the front differential and transfer case are already spoken for

I don't have to find a Syclone or Typhoon. All of the awd s-10 based vehicles use the same transfer case and front diff. The Astro also uses the same ones. I have seen plenty of awd Astros at my local pull-a-part. I really need to go out and start seriously looking at the frame differences. I've tried to research it but I can't find much info on how the awd is built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor