Another Cutlass from BC

Status
Not open for further replies.

prime

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2009
Hello all. I've seen quite a few guys from BC posting in here. My first car, like a few others, is also a Cutlass.

Tomorrow actually, I'll be purchasing an 81' Cutlass partial restoration. Needs some new interior parts and some paint, but all the engine components are in great shape. Because they're brand new. Its gas a small block 305 stuffed in it, with dual flowmasters and a plethora of other parts that I don't really understand because I'm a newbie.

What I know is that he smoked a 2008 mustang just to prove he could, and I don't have any trouble believing what he's told me about the thing. Its supposedly putting out around 300 horses, though its using a double flow valve instead of a quad flow valve, so when you really try to rip it, the engine bogs up a bit. The guys is grabbing me a quad flow valve for it, though he isn't going to install it.

There's a few other parts I'll need to put on it to, plus the paint and detailing it'll need. I'd appericiate any help and advice you guys here could give me.

Starting with how to install a heater core. It gets cold here in BC. Hehe.

I'll post some pictures later on, video next monday, I'm gonna take it out with some friends and show them what it can do. Its no slouch, thats for damn sure.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Welcome from the prairies!

Attachments

• Pontiac Wheel 1.jpg
    Pontiac Wheel 1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 124

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Hey! Welcome from mid-Island! Bowser to be precise :lol:

Attachments

• IMAG0776.jpg
    IMAG0776.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMAG0774.jpg
    IMAG0774.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 146

prime

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2009
You're from the middle area of vancouver island eh? I live over in the city. If we get a chance, we should hang out sometime. You can help me out with my car! :D

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
prime said:
You're from the middle area of vancouver island eh? I live over in the city. If we get a chance, we should hang out sometime. You can help me out with my car! :D

Sure thing, but I don't get over much.
Well, you could try bcgbody
They have alot of members in the Vancouver area, but I will warn you that site is full of motor mouths and a-holes. If you do a bit of reading before posting, you'll know what I mean. It's a drama fest.... :lol:

prime

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2009
Well, I got the car. There are quite a few things that need to be fixed, though its in drivable condition. One of the main things that's ticking me off is that the engine bogs up when you put the peddle to the metal. Which really sucks, since you can FEEL the power in that car. Also, screw driving in the rain, when you do eventually come to a stop, pressing on the gas just causes you to peel out madly.

Anyways, here's a short list of missing and/or broken parts.

Accelerator Pump (Main suspect for the lack of fuel. Think its the wrong kind, for a smaller engine.)
Heater Core
Fuel Lines (Probably leaking, I can smell gas, but I can't locate the leak.)
Front Bumper
E-Brake (Not attatched properly, pulls out the whole cable when trying to release the break.)
Cold Start Fail (Stalls shortly after starting it on a wet day, runs fine after the engine warms up.)
Drivers Side Doorlatch (Have to roll down the window and open it from the outside.)
Headlights Pullout Switch (Works, but has to be jiggled a bit, should probably get a new one.)

My other beef with the thing is that the E-Brake is a foot peddle, which is evil because I forget to release the bloody thing. (Used to hand brakes.) Which resulted in me taking a curb a little to tight two days ago, and the whole back end sliding around, which caused my whole car to slide into a curb. (This is more self fail than car fail, but it should have an E-brake on light or noise or sound or something that annoys you and pisses you off all the time telling your stupid *ss to release the damn e-brake.)

The automatic transmission shifter is on the steering column is sticky, and has to be pulled pretty hard at a certain angle to get into gear. That doesn't really effect driving to much, but when the car is cold, you gotta pull fast to keep it running, so that can kill. I'd like to move that to a right hand floor mounted as well, if anyone has any advice on that.

Overall however, the only thing the car really needs to drive good and look good, is a tune up, some paint, and the damn accelerator pump to be fixed. (The gearing on the automatic doesn't feel right to me either, but thats probably just because the car has a mean kick when it shifts into gear.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor