Looks like another G dies by demo with out the chance to give its parts to another.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I thought last week I was going to be able to make a deal on parts with a co-worker who said he lucked into a '79 Monte with out a title for $500. Said he's going to demo it dispite claiming it was a pampered car that had to go cause of the title issue. Told him I'd buy what I needed plus trade sheet metal so he can smash the parts that aren't that great. All I got was somebody else was going to sell the take off parts. OK. So I waited to bring it up today as he had the weekend to look things over. Bring it up again & get "those doors are so nice I won't even need to put bars in them." ?????? Not sure if he is trying to be a smart *ss or what. Even other co-workers don't understand why he would of told me he was getting an allegedly nice car that is the same as Jr.'s, knowing we are looking for what all we can find locally just to keep going on about smashing it this year. Then passing on what he paid for it plus swapping parts so it can be smashed. What's worse is I told him he could have all my scrap metal plus keep what he gets for it all this spring when I do my clean up. Is there something I'm missing & don't understand when it comes to these "pro" demo derby drivers (guys who spend over $2K+ to win only $200-$500 like he does)? I do but don't want to see pics of this car as it'll just be disapointing see what we could of used or passed on to others who to used.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Some people just like to destroy. He is also probably trolling you because some people get off on it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Reactions: 1 users

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
I thought last week I was going to be able to make a deal on parts with a co-worker who said he lucked into a '79 Monte with out a title for $500. Said he's going to demo it dispite claiming it was a pampered car that had to go cause of the title issue. Told him I'd buy what I needed plus trade sheet metal so he can smash the parts that aren't that great. All I got was somebody else was going to sell the take off parts. OK. So I waited to bring it up today as he had the weekend to look things over. Bring it up again & get "those doors are so nice I won't even need to put bars in them." ?????? Not sure if he is trying to be a smart *ss or what. Even other co-workers don't understand why he would of told me he was getting an allegedly nice car that is the same as Jr.'s, knowing we are looking for what all we can find locally just to keep going on about smashing it this year. Then passing on what he paid for it plus swapping parts so it can be smashed. What's worse is I told him he could have all my scrap metal plus keep what he gets for it all this spring when I do my clean up. Is there something I'm missing & don't understand when it comes to these "pro" demo derby drivers (guys who spend over $2K+ to win only $200-$500 like he does)? I do but don't want to see pics of this car as it'll just be disapointing see what we could of used or passed on to others who to used.
theres a state you can register it in without a title. used to be VT but when they quit doing it another state stated doin it forgot which 1 but you didnt have to live there or go there., aint got time now to find it.

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
It's like the scene from Joe dirt where Joe goes to pick up his heme at the repair shop : repair guys says it's 4000 ...but Joe says I don't got that much ! well the other guys says' il sell you a charger but it's not going to be a hemi ,scene fades to a junky beat up charger smoking from tailpipes not tires ...sadly floundering away...

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
maybe i was wrong, im hearing something bout alabama and then there's this. i will say when i got my current SS in 03' bought from orig owner & he let it sit for 10 yrs or so and lost the title in the process, went to the dmv RI where i live and car was last registered went in with 1 of the orig lic plates and that was it got it titled.

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Unfortunately, to many they are just 'malaise-era' cars, things they made millions of and just not worth much.

It's the same with some 'artists' who have something old, useful, and potentially valuable to someone but won't sell it because it's the 'raw materials to make my art" which they then completely destroy the item to make a pile of literal trash out of it.

Well, some guys it's not about the profit of the prize money, it's the 'fun' of running the derby and the bragging rights for whatever place they make it to.

I'd be surprised at anyone who wouldn't want to put bars on a door no matter how nice or not that it is, even when these cars were new I saw a ton of roof buckles and quarters moved in 18" or more on a t-bone. I'd definitely want side protection, but, thats just me.

The other possibility is, the car could be crappier than he led you to believe initially, and he just wanted to sound like the big shot for his 'score.'

Either way, best thing to do may just be you and any of your work buddies freeze him out with cold shoulders and wait for him to ask why everyone avoids him, then mention all this.

Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Unfortunately, to many they are just 'malaise-era' cars, things they made millions of and just not worth much.

It's the same with some 'artists' who have something old, useful, and potentially valuable to someone but won't sell it because it's the 'raw materials to make my art" which they then completely destroy the item to make a pile of literal trash out of it.

Well, some guys it's not about the profit of the prize money, it's the 'fun' of running the derby and the bragging rights for whatever place they make it to.

I'd be surprised at anyone who wouldn't want to put bars on a door no matter how nice or not that it is, even when these cars were new I saw a ton of roof buckles and quarters moved in 18" or more on a t-bone. I'd definitely want side protection, but, thats just me.

The other possibility is, the car could be crappier than he led you to believe initially, and he just wanted to sound like the big shot for his 'score.'

Either way, best thing to do may just be you and any of your work buddies freeze him out with cold shoulders and wait for him to ask why everyone avoids him, then mention all this.
There is one thing that threw me off with him with seeing about saving what I could is back in January we all were talking with him about this coming derby season & he brought up how he wouldn't smash a good car & tries to sell off the good parts on what he does run. This made me ask about getting parts & swapping out panels. Didn't expect him to respond this way.

Right now it does seems like he is getting those cold shoulders cause he was left to his own devices for our lunch break.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor