Any feedback? No one left any in "New Users". Wha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Hi,

My subject is on the optimistic side. I am rebuilding a 1983 Grand Prix, that I am making into a retro factory performance car that never existed. The GTO that Pontiac should have made in the 80's, if I can make it worthy of the name (custom grill/ body mods, ram air, and performance). Otherwise it will be a Phantom 1983 GTX, but I am aiming for the top.

Chevy had the SS, Buick the Grand Nat, Olds even had the 442, but there was to my knowledge no real performance Grand Prix (of course except the one year 2+2 trim package at the very end). Whether it was a GTO or a GTX or a Hurst wouldn't have mattered, it should exist. Grand Prix's at least in my opinion had the most aggressive body lines and dashes, but they never seemed to get the respect. They seem one of the rarest - why didn't they sell better? Is it because there was no flag ship? If GM built a GTO in the 80's what would they have used? The LeMans was an option, but the Grand Prix is hotter looking (my opinion - I am partial). The 74 was a ventura, and the 2004 a Holdem, so the tie to LeMans is not necessary.

I bought my car in the late 90's. It had 60K, beautiful black laquer paint, cloth PMD seats in a mint interior, and the stock 305, with hand painted pin striping, and Cragars. It was a retired 1991 Auto Rama loser that was mint. However, after a few winters as a daily driver (only car at over 20K miles per year) in Cleveland and another 65K, it needed rebuilt. That was over 3 years ago.

Since then, I have replaced the 305 with a 355 with flat top pistons (10.5:1), an LT4 Hot Cam package, Bow Tie Heads, an Edelbrock Performer RPM, and a 625 Speed Demon Carb, with Afterburner Headers, true duels, a 2004R transmission (replaced junk metric 3spd) and 3.73 rear gears (replaced 2.23's), and converted to a 3rd Gen F-Body electric fan (only parts in the engine compatment not GM are the Carb, manifold and headers). Replaced the front suspension with PST parts, 4x4 s10 Springs (1" shorter with higher spring rate, largest stock sway bar, and PMD shocks. Running 16x8" GTA wheels (turbines with studs not the GNX type). I've also converted over to a non-ac heater system (can't find a pontiac dash without the vents though), and added a stock tach.

I am currently doing the body work and interior work. I have replaced the doors, the hood (adding at least a shaker, hopefully a custom Ram Air using both hoods if I can muster the testicular fortitude), and have/ am removing all of the chrome and Landau. I plan to make a custom fiberglass one piece grill to replace the three piece, trimming the bumper as necessary (think late 60's GTO but squared-off). The last two parts make the difference between a GTO and a GTP or GTX in my opinion.

I am replacing the now worn PMD's with a fresh power leather set, added a B&M Shifter, and am redying/ replacing all of the interior pieces with fresh parts. The interior will be a PMD/ Grand National hybrid with two-tone seats and black carpet. It already has a "good vitage stereo system (Sony CD, amp, and two kicker woofers).

The car is far from done. I am trying to get it "finished" (black primer in need of paint and custom body work is close enough for Power Tour in two weeks - starts here in Cleveland). I have not driven it since the mechanical work was started - other than a few burn-outs up and down my street.

I want some feed-back from people who know and respect G-body's. How fast do you think it should be? Sound like good idea? GTO or GTP or GTX or just nice Grand Prix? Color suggestions, I am currently thinking a dark red metalic or bright blue? Anybody have any other good ideas? Got any parts (really nead a Leather or Vinyl rear seat)? Anybody need any parts (I have no garage - built the car in the drive), and no storage, with too many parts. I will sell cheap (think give away, with a slight donation to my car costs) or preferably trade. let me know what you need.

Thanks,

Chris

Anybody wanna join the Stoopud Car Club. We currently have three members - me, my freind with a bad-*ss Drag SS Monte (who will be joining here soon), and the guy who bought my PMD seats for his KITT in Spain (yes we are international, but don't let that intimidate you).

No cost, just send pictures and tell people you are a member. If anybody joins we may eventually have t-shirts, and a web site. If not we will proudly continue as the worlds smallest car club.

My best guess on performance is low 13's/ high 12's, and a new rear axle if you ever try to get all the power to the ground.

Oh, a GTP was a FWD Pontiac, and it would never have been a GTX. Chrysler would have sued. Remember: a GTX was an upscale performance version of the Chrysler B body Plymouth Belvedere and ( I think) was introduced in 1966. It came standard with the 440 and had the 426 Hemi as it's only optional engine. It also had either the NP A833 4 speed or torqueflite 727 trans and either the 8 3/4 rear axle or a Dana 60. It's cheaper brother arrived in 1968 and was called the Road Runner. The last GTX was built in 1973 or 74 and probably had either a LA 360 or B wedge 400 in it.

Car sounds cool and you have some good ideas for it. The bright blue would look good. Did you end up going on the Power Tour last spring?

Im going to agree largely with 85cutlass here, low 13's to high 12's should be expected with a little track experience. Some things you didn't mention that will help secure that well sought after 12 second pass: Stall converter choice, Trans mods, ignition system, and cooling system. I am sure there are more, but those were my questions.

Sounds sweet though, grab a classic restoration catalog and get some hurst badges or something like that. I'm in the process of aquiring an 81 Buick Regal, and plan to get some old GS badges to replace the Regal ones when I am done with the car.

Jerry,

I made Power Tour only as a spectator driving my beater 99' TA. I am way behind on the body work. Once I started I found out it was much worse than I thought (last guy did better bud work than I thought, but no metal work). I decided to do it right rather than rush. I have cut everything out and replaced the bad parts.

I am a set of quarter windows and a good day of prep work away from final primer (paint till spring). Then I can put the interior in and drive it. To stick with my overly optimistic plans, I am trying to make it to the strip to test out the drive train on Nov 17 (in primer, with minimal interior if necessary). I am going to make the nose and hood this winter in the basement.

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. And even though SLP made the GTX, I am going to avoid that name just to avoid the confussion and BS from the Mopar guys.

Thanks everyone,

Stoopud

Good look on the project. Sounds like you got good ideas. make sure u post up pics as you go

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor