Any one ever install a universal column?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jad99125

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2012
My steering column is shot if anyone had read my previous posts. I am scared to buy a used one from the junkyard because I can't be confident it will be in good condition. I am playing with the idea of putting in a univeral column. Has anyone done this before? I know its not factory but a new universal column is half the price of getting one from a junker and rebuilding it. I can go wire by wire and figure out what is needed but not sure how to work the actuator rods. Seems like I will need a row of switches and a pre-flight checklist. Any ideas, pics or references? P.S. if anyone has a column for a fellow g-body owner, I would be happy to buy it from you as I prefer original and I have good experiences with fellow Gbodyforum members. Thanks

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
First off, you might want to mention the type and year of car it's going into. I personally would go with an OEM column.
If you're paranoid about using a used column, you could have it rebuilt...or buy a rebuilt column from a place like Columns Galore. http://www.columnsgalore.com/
I think a universal column is potentially more work than an OEM column.

What's wrong with your current column?

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
What is "shot" with your current column? If its really wobbley, its a common problem with the bolts for the steering wheel tilt coming loose. You can take it apart and put some lock tight on the bolts and retighen them.

jad99125

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2012
Sorry, it was more of a general question. It is an 84 t-type. I was trying to find a place that would rebuild mine but I had no luck. Its not wobbley but the problem was the key wouldn't come out and only go to on-off. I took it apart, ignition out and the plastic gear off on the other side. I guess there is a cam on the inside and when I put a screw driver through it, it wouldn't turn still. After 2 more days of playing with it, finally moved when a bearing ball fell out. Not sure how it ended up in there but it was a problem, none the less. I am sure I could put it back together or rebuild it but I can not find the damage or issue to fix it and I am worried when I put it back together it will happen again. I even went to the junkyard and their column had the same problem and I could not find a rebuild kit with the part or part seperatley but I am looking at the drawing in the manual as that is all I have to go by. Gonna check that rebuild site right now, Thanks

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Here's a pretty good site that might be of some help. http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html
I know it's for a Fiero, but it's essentially the same deal.
You may end up having to remove the column from the car to work on it properly. If you're patient and pay close attention to detail, you shouldn't have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor