any one running e85?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
You guys need to do research. I am all for announcing my opinion, but give the OP some truth to your statement. With a fuel pump change, fuel line change, and of course a carburetor change, E85 is right around the corner. We will setup the Monte for E85 this summer as the new motor should be built. A 23degree SBC with 14.1 compression on PUMP E85.

Many are scared away from E85 due to the bad history it has. I can tell you from experience, we have a 13:1 406 in our 1978 Malibu that runs pump gas E85 with NO PROBLEMS. It would be advised to purchase a tester from a Summit/Jegs to insure proper mixture. I was very doubtful of E85 until I met a guy named Mark Sullins. He is the man when it comes to E85 conversion. He will tell you like it is, like it or not.

E85 does have some setbacks, as it can be hard to start in the colder months. The ratio, E85, uses 15% fossil fuel to ignite the "corn". This makes hard starts and slower warm-ups. In the Malibu, we sometimes fight to get heat into the motor.

Overall, don't be scared away from the people who may not 1. Have correct knowledge or 2. Do not like the fuel due to it's bad past.

Hope this helps,

Cory

Stealth

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2012
Michigan
I am running e85 in my lemans. .60 over aluminum head sbc, 13-1 comp. it's costly to do the swap initially but it will save you $ in the long run if you are running big compression and need to run race fuel. Any questions pm me

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor