Any other 442 owners ever get this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
so, i was thinking, nearly every time i have my car out, at least one person asks me, "does that still have the 442 in it?" (referring to the engine) :roll: i tell them, "no its the stock 307 it came with" then they become less interested in it and stop talking to me lol anyone else ever get that? also just because it says 442 down the side everybody wants to race you. 9 times out of 10 im cruising with my girlfriend and i got my kid in the back, im not racing anybody, even if i didnt its got nothing to prove. why race? people these days i tell ya. :lol:

snowball

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2009
I get it too. And I am in a CSC with rear spoiler. I usually get the " Is that a 442?" Or in my W-31 is that a 442 under the hood? I guess they just dont get it.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Lol, I've actually never heard of that. But reading this made me wonder, where did the term '442' come from. So I Googled it and got this from Wiki:

The package was dubbed 4-4-2 based on its combination of four-barrel carburetor, four-speed manual transmission, and two exhausts. (when 442s first came out)

Learn something new everyday lol.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I've heard of this, quite funny too

The "442" meaning has changed through the years from "4 speed, 4barrel and duals" to the 1973-1977's "handling and appearance package" to those quad-four 442 coupes in the late 80's.

nonetheless, why do people think 442 is an engine.

"does your mercedes 600SL still have the 600 in it???" :blam:

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Minion1186 said:
"does your mercedes 600SL still have the 600 in it???" :blam:

No, it DOES have a 6.0 liter V12, however, hence the 600 designation. :roll:

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
It's one of those cars that nobody really understands until you've owned one or had one close in the family

86_olds

G-Body Guru
Jul 26, 2009
so cal
Phoenyx said:
Lol, I've actually never heard of that. But reading this made me wonder, where did the term '442' come from. So I Googled it and got this from Wiki:

The package was dubbed 4-4-2 based on its combination of four-barrel carburetor, four-speed manual transmission, and two exhausts. (when 442s first came out)

Learn something new everyday lol.
ironically its a 4 speed auto transmission and it sucks that they are not true duals they cheated us

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
79loserbluebu said:
It's one of those cars that nobody really understands until you've owned one or had one close in the family
well put! yeah this is what i got from the meanings at one time it ment 400hp 4 barrel carb 2 exhaust then it ment 4 speed 4 barrel carb 2 exhaust then it was the quad 442 lol

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
I had someone say they couldn't believe the company that makes the Hearse, made such a cool car as mine (which is an '83 Hurst/Olds). Apparently they thought Hearse and Hurst were one and the same. LOL

I have gotten the 442 engine comment before and I always then follow with the explaination what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor