anybody here ever owned a sl500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I'm poor.

That is why my "luxury European GT car" choice would be a Jag XK8. Cheap to buy, cheap to repair. For about the price of a nice G-body you can drive a $70K in the 90's DOHC all aluminum V-8 European convertible with leather, climate, power everything that gets 24 mpg on the hwy. Good paint body LS Swap candidates needing a motor or trans are $1500-$2500, but very good running/driving cars are $4,000-$6,500.

They rust like no tomorrow, so get a nice southern one. They are scary on slick roads, some northern ones could be still good, but its a crapshoot. Jags have known "issues" which is why they are cheap, but these issues are repairable by any competent DIY mechanic with tools... which isn't 99% of new Jag buyers.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am now finding myself shopping for Jags because I know Natasha likes them... and LS engines.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I had an S-type that I practically stole because of one of those "known issues". Previous owner ignored timing chain rattle on startup until the RS secondary tensioner failed. That was an easy car to work on and parts weren't really too expensive. The engine looks like a 7/8 scale version of the Ford 4.6 dohc used in Cobras and some Lincolns. The S-type shared platform with Lincoln LS and the most recent retro Thunderbird so you could substitue a lot of Ford parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor