OLDS Anyone see this article in HotRod magazine about an Olds 455?

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
I like this segment of the magazine because they feature more down to earth builds on engines we all might be able to afford at some point in our lives. This is what I'd try to build if I ever pull the 455 out from under my work bench!

IMG_3887.jpegIMG_3888.jpegIMG_3889.jpegIMG_3890.jpegIMG_3891.jpeg

Last edited:
I think, I saw that one. That is with latest version Edelbrock heads, correct? Impressive for sure and shows a good gain over last generation heads. A nice build.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
I think, I saw that one. That is with latest version Edelbrock heads, correct? Impressive for sure and shows a good gain over last generation heads. A nice build.
It mentions Edelbrock Performer RPM heads but I'm no expert so I can't confirm if they are the latest.

6102 is the new part number, 6015 the old. Can also see the cut out for the yuge mechanical fuel pump.
Yeah, I thought there was a cut out. I need to start my new job so I can afford the new SBO heads when they arrive.

Reactions: old80cs
Yeah, I thought there was a cut out. I need to start my new job so I can afford the new SBO heads when they arrive.
Have the best of both worlds. Get an early fwd toronado and a 455 and build it. Could be a boat towing replacement for the awd challenger when the miles and age catch up to all those electronics.

Reactions: olds307 and 403
Anyone got a link to an online version of the article?

Have the best of both worlds. Get an early fwd toronado and a 455 and build it. Could be a boat towing replacement for the awd challenger when the miles and age catch up to all those electronics.
I agree a 70 Tornado GT would be awesome and work so much better at a launch. I might be able to find a better Tornado here than a 88 to 95 truck. The 80's ones are for sale cheap, plenty around here but not sure how much torque the FWD 2004R can take. So far the Challenger hasn't acted like a Dodge. It has been as reliable as our 2004 Corolla CE we owned. The trans pan has been the only major repair. The UCONNECT was glitching but that seemed more software related and getting better. Either way, on this mild cam 455, it is impressive, glad Edelbrock upgraded these and small chamber version is welcome news to us SBO guys, when they arrive.

I agree a 70 Tornado GT would be awesome and work so much better at a launch. I might be able to find a better Tornado here than a 88 to 95 truck. The 80's ones are for sale cheap, plenty around here but not sure how much torque the FWD 2004R can take. So far the Challenger hasn't acted like a Dodge. It has been as reliable as our 2004 Corolla CE we owned. The trans pan has been the only major repair. The UCONNECT was glitching but that seemed more software related and getting better. Either way, on this mild cam 455, it is impressive, glad Edelbrock upgraded these and small chamber version is welcome news to us SBO guys, when they arrive.
Buick Riviera T-Type donor with the 325-4L transmission would help, would want the 'BJ' trans code. Could be had with a 3.36 ratio, or, in some years a 3.15. It was stronger and different than the normal run of the mill riv/toro/eldo trans that only had a 2.73 ratio.

I had 2 1985 T-Types and an 83 T-Type version through the years, plus around a 1980 350v8 car. Hydraulically the 325 was similar to the 200, but, not mechanically. Shift solenoids could be an issue, and next would be the chain behind the converter. Upside is many gaskets replaceable in-car.

Because of how it's set up and being FWD and all, drivetrain stresses are different than a RWD car and it's more likely to spin the tires before putting as much strain. Depends on how you drive it. Shift kits do get made for the 325, or did, but had mixed reviews no doubt depending in part on who installed them in my experience among the community.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor