astro van motor into a GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bk123

n00b
Nov 12, 2008
I recently bought a 1983 Grand Prix that had a 350 in it. The car will be for my wife...was thinking of putting an Astro van 4.3 in it. Any ideas? Would this work / fit? I'd likely change the transmission as well. I know little about G-bodies, but have lots of experience with electrical & older muscle cars.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
It will work and fit, in fact in the end years of the G body the 4.3 was the base engine in the Monte Carlo. You'll have to add everthing needed to make the fuel injection work, including a return fuel line. IMHO there are better engines to use than the 4.3, but if you have one and desire to use it, it will work.

-UT-

bk123

n00b
Nov 12, 2008
I'm open for suggestions. Spending the winter finishing my 70GP & plan to start on the '83 after that. I don't need 2 tire burners...My wife & chokes don't get along (Canadian, eh) so I definitely want to go FI.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
IMHO spend the money on a 2000+ Impala / Buick Century / Grand Prix.

It's a decent swap ( the 4.3 in my '03 Astro / Safari is about 200 hp ) but all the computer work to get the FI to operate for that little power is just not worth it.

My wifes '03 Impala will smoke my Stock 1984 SS at any speed. It has AC, ABS, Traction Control, and gets twice the fuel economy. It was cheaper to insure than the SS to boot because it has a 5 star crash rating along with ABS.

The g-bodies are cool ( and wifey likes them ) but for a DD she much prefers her IMP

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
bk123 said:
I recently bought a 1983 Grand Prix that had a 350 in it. The car will be for my wife...was thinking of putting an Astro van 4.3 in it. Any ideas? Would this work / fit? I'd likely change the transmission as well. I know little about G-bodies, but have lots of experience with electrical & older muscle cars.

The newer 262 puts out about as much power as the olds 307, and if in good condition with a few extra modifications, comparable to a worn 350. I think you'll be surprised.

You can even modify the intake manifold from a merc marine to fit larger injectors...even though you don't need this...nevermind, I'm dreaming for my truck :p

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Do you already have the astro 4.3??? If not maybe think about putting a throttle body injected 305 or 350 in it. Up till about 95 I think most of the full size trucks and caprice's had them. I've got an 87 LS that was originally a 4.3 FI, now it's a 69 Lt1 350 and I had an 86 LS last year with a 305, both have 200r4's. The 4.3 was really underpowered, and actually used more gas then my 305 or 350. And as far as the amount of work and cost, it'll be a little less. Just something to think about.

bk123

n00b
Nov 12, 2008
Thanks for the info guys, I don't have the van but my brother would give it to me...any idea what motors/ years have any advantages over others? a fei 305 would look goo too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor