AUTO XRAY EZ-SCAN 6000 OBD-I & OBD-II SCANNER

Tore

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2024
Has anyone had any experience with this scanner? Need it to scan OBD-1. Any good or not worth it?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I have an EZ-Scan in the bottom drawer of my toolbox that I bought at least 15 years ago. It looks just like a 6000 but it might be an earlier model. I bought it specifically for OBD1 Ford and Chrysler and only used it a handful of times. It's pretty crude but gets the job done. If you can snag one cheap, might be worth it. I used to see them at the swap meet for $40-50 in decent condition with all the cables.

All the old OBDI tools are basically digitized paperclips.

For OBDII, a $30 Autel pocket scanner is probably better. I keep one in the glove box of every car at my house.

I also bought one of these Creader OBDII scanners a few years ago. It's a step up from the pocket scanner, giving live data for ABS, SRS, and transmission, in addition to just engine data and codes. I bought it primarily for documenting SRS codes when I was doing Takata recall work for Honda but have used it to diagnose GM transmissions. It seemed to work okay with Subaru and Toyota too, but I have GTS+ (new replacement for TechStream factory software) so I haven't used it much for that. It's pretty capable for the money.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I have an EZ-Scan in the bottom drawer of my toolbox that I bought at least 15 years ago. It looks just like a 6000 but it might be an earlier model. I bought it specifically for OBD1 Ford and Chrysler and only used it a handful of times. It's pretty crude but gets the job done. If you can snag one cheap, might be worth it. I used to see them at the swap meet for $40-50 in decent condition with all the cables.

All the old OBDI tools are basically digitized paperclips.

For OBDII, a $30 Autel pocket scanner is probably better. I keep one in the glove box of every car at my house.

I also bought one of these Creader OBDII scanners a few years ago. It's a step up from the pocket scanner, giving live data for ABS, SRS, and transmission, in addition to just engine data and codes. I bought it primarily for documenting SRS codes when I was doing Takata recall work for Honda but have used it to diagnose GM transmissions. It seemed to work okay with Subaru and Toyota too, but I have GTS+ (new replacement for TechStream factory software) so I haven't used it much for that. It's pretty capable for the money.

OBD 1 code readers are just fancy paperclips. However, OBD 1 scanners display live sensor data which is a big step above a paperclip. The terminology often gets confused, a code reader just displays codes, a scanner at least displays live sensor data which is easier than probing wires with a multimeter. I have Alltest Brainmaster 2 which dispays data from the sensors one at a time. With the CCC system both tools when plugged in will send the ECM into a diagnostics mode. With reading the air fuel mixture solenoid dwell a analog dwell meter is best.

The situation with OBD2 is different. OBD2 code readers just displays are erases codes, OBD2 scanners read codes, displays and graphs live data, performs tests, etc. It depends how high end of a OBD2 scanner you buy and how much dough you can part with.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I have an Actron Pro 9185 scanner in the 9190 kit. It does both OBD1 and 2 live time. I think it can store junk too, but I don't usually have a need for that.

I also have a Braindrain II for the C3 systems on the 80s models. I want to say it's a 320 or something. Can't recall the exact model number off hand. Has it's own little switch for 82-88 Oldsmobile. Anyway, the Braindrain is the perfect tool IMO for the TPS readout on the C3 cars.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor