Back to my G Body roots

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Hello everyone. It’s been some time since I’ve been on the forum and did any posting. I occasionally get on the site and check out some posts and see what is available in the classifieds but haven’t really interacted much. I haven’t drove my Monte Carlo in a couple years because I don’t have much time with work and family but mostly because my Holley sniper system isn’t what I thought it would be and continue to have issues with it. Last weekend I exhumed the whole system, converted it back to a carburetor, and it’s running pretty good. I keep a Holley 750 cfm vacuum secondary carb in my cabinet for a test mule and decided to try that on the roller cammed 327. It was a great choice. I need to make a jet change to get it dialed in but that is an easy task. I’m looking forward to jamming gears again soon.

Anyway back to the reason of this thread. So way back in 1996 I got my first Cutlass Supreme. 1983 All black with maple interior. 60/40 bench seat, 6 cylinder, and fair share of dents dings and some minor rust. It was my first car and I loved it. I bought some American Racing Outlaws and put on it and changed the whole look of it. The White walls and spoke wheel covers had to go. About a year later or so I had my buddy change the tires on the outlaws and when the lug nuts didn’t get torqued properly, disaster strikes. The front driver side wheel flew off driving down the road and that was the end of my beloved car.
I always wanted another one just like it but I didn’t have the money to spend on a car for a toy. A job that didn’t pay much and trying to work on my house, and growing up just didn’t allow it but I would always keep an eye out for one. About 15 years ago I was in a more stable position in life and started looking more and more determined to find another 1983 all black with maple interior Cutlass.
I didn’t realize how hard it would be to find one to meet only a few requirements. Some road trips and continuously looking all found the same thing. Rusted out cars that needed entirely too much work with a ridiculous price tag.
Now let’s fast forward to about a month ago. I finally found my unicorn! It was the exact car I was looking for, other than it was one year newer. I decided along the way of my search that I would like to have T-Tops and bucket seats with a console added to my first Cutlass. While I was at it, let’s make sure it is a Calais as well. Just like ordering one back in the day!
I made the 3 and a half hour trip to get the car one evening and picked it up. I made it about a half mile from the previous owners house and my truck decided to run like crap. I had to have my truck towed home on a rollback with the new purchase on the trailer pulled behind the rollback all the way back home.
So now my Search is over and I also have a new truck setting in my building. This has 71000 original miles on it, original paint, interior, engine, trans, everything! The tires were mounted in 1992. The receipt is still in the glove box. I just bought some new ones last week for it.
I plan on thoroughly cleaning it, replacing the T-Top seals, and just driving and enjoying the car every chance I get. Thanks for taking the time to read my story and glad to be back in the seat o a Cutlass G Body!

Attachments

• IMG_0870.jpeg
    IMG_0870.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Nice. There's nothing wrong with an '84. It's virtually everything the 83 was, except for the radio/clock locations. I also like the tail lights better without the separator strip, but that's just my opinion. Enjoy!

Wait, this isn't the car you wanted 83 grilles for is it? *confused*

Reactions: 2 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Nice. There's nothing wrong with an '84. It's virtually everything the 83 was, except for the radio/clock locations. I also like the tail lights better without the separator strip, but that's just my opinion. Enjoy!

Wait, this isn't the car you wanted 83 grilles for is it? *confused*
Thank you! Yes I am going to change to the 83 grills. I have never been a fan of the 84 grills. It may not be right but I’m going to do it. 😊

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor