bbc el camino needs stout front springs - what would work?

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
iron head 454/700R with AC, PS/PB stock front end. Rear diff is Currie 9-inch, tubular control arms, discs.

Front of the car is very saggy right now, Would like a stock ride height plus crisper handling. Might upgrade control arms bur mainly need to get the car off the ground.

I see moog springs mentioned here but I don't want to lower the car - it already bounces the frame off the pavement. thanks for advice

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
My first thought would be BBC A-Body springs out of a 70's Monte Carlo.

NJ Longroof

Random guy
Feb 27, 2020
This was posted previously on here but I can't find link but I saved pic a when I first came across it.
Springs.jpg~2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Although long time ago I attended one of the Moog Schools (1 week) put on for industry. Never had any issues with any of their products.

If looking for springs for retro-fit; maybe as said BBC out of older A body, or maybe G10/G20 van or Astro Van.

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
thanks to all good suggestions. Too bad I tossed out some A-body springs thinking I would never need them. I will try the stiffest Moog option 5664 and if too much will cut a little off

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Be careful about cutting. Some of the Moog springs are staged, kind of like beehive springs. You can seriously affect its spring rate and set your self up for some bad harmonics you would not be able to remove. Call their tech support before you cut anything.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
thanks 78delta88 for pointing that out. I was going to order some MOOG 5664 springs but they seem to be obsolete, cannot find an online vendor.

Reactions: 1 user

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Any update on this? Would love to see what you chose and how it looks. Just found out that the s10 drop springs I installed aren't the best option for my big block malibu. Riding on the bump stops now which has caused them to move around a little bit...

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor