Bed mat or carpet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadBrax

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2018
Does anyone know if the bed mats marketed for the El Camino will fit in the wagons? or if maybe there's a carpet sold for the wagons that I haven't been able to find? Specifically an 80 Malibu wagon. I found a partial carpet mat on auto anything that only covers the rearmost area behind the rear seat but would like to be able to cover the whole area when the seat is down. Thanks in advance for any info available.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
For an El Camino mat, you'd have to actually measure one. The wheel base is different. Which means your inner wheel houses wouldn't be in the same place.
Wait for Jack (Longroof) to get on here , if anyone can give you the right info about a wagon , it's him.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
If you’re talking about the intermediate fill panel and the back of the back seat, you might have to get those pieces custom-made.

I would contact one of the companies that makes G-Body replacement carpet, and see if they sell bulk by the foot or yard. You might have to get an upholstery shop to do those pieces.

As far as I know, the floor carpet should be the same between the coupes, sedans and wagons.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Doug.

Brax, you're better off purchasing some carpet yardage, that's what I did. Is there carpet in the cargo area currently? If so, you can use the old carpet as a pattern. My wagon never had carpet in the rear, so I was fortunate to find old carpet in back of a junkyard Buick Regal wagon.
I bought carpet to match my floor. If you're not too critical, you can always go to a Lowes or any home improvement store and pick up some indoor/ outdoor carpet.

I'm not familiar with the bed mats for an El Camino. I assume it's made of rubber, not carpet.
Also, if you do fold the rear seat up and down frequently, you might want to cut the carpet to fit accordingly.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
if you go the custom route with the carpet you can have the edges bound for a nice finished look.i had mine done @an upholstery shop.

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I used Ozite for the back of my rear seat and eventually its going to be in the cargo area. It might not be the best choice but I wont be putting much back there so Im hoping its going to last for a while. The upholstery shop that did my seats glued a black backing to the stuff on the seat back so it made it a lot more stable.
I made a pattern out of poster board for the rear floor but when I laid it out on the carpet and cut it out I had it upside down. It looked like a good fit too. LOL

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My rear carpet still needs to be bound. Plus, according to the original carpet, there's a piece of vinyl sewn on to the forward floor portion of the carpet. The vinyl flap, if you will, is used to help attach that portion of the carpet to floor.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Does anyone know if the bed mats marketed for the El Camino will fit in the wagons?

as others pointed out, not likely. the El Camino even has a different frame than any other Gbody. have you tried looking at the GM Heritage Archive kits to get dimensional measurements?

hope the info below helps you out

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...rmation-kits/Malibu/1980-Chevrolet-Malibu.pdf
(dimensions on pg 26)

1535237118176.png

pg68
1535237274062.png

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

MadBrax

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2018
Wow, the differences are much greater than I expected. Mine didn't come with carpet in the back and my wife has made comments about putting the dogs in the back. That's why I was looking at the El Camino rubber mats. I wanted to cover the whole area (seat down) with carpet for the Hot Rod power tour next year. The ozite seems to be a good idea and given all the additional info you guy's have offered up it's clear now that I'll be making my own and probably one of each, rubber and carpet....
IMG_20180815_113525.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor