Bed repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
that partictuar seam sealer says it's direct to metal and over primed surfaces.the idea with seam sealer is you apply it after priming is done and paint over it

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Gman1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2019
Upstate SC
that partictuar seam sealer says it's direct to metal and over primed surfaces.the idea with seam sealer is you apply it after priming is done and paint over it
Thanks, the por patch is being shipped. Once the bed is patched and sealed, I have new carpet to go in. May need some of this stuff once I see the floor pans. Thanks again.

Gman1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2019
Upstate SC
Do the first 2 steps of the Por 15 directions BEFORE you you prime and seal the seam. It will clean and etch the metal. Just make sure its dry before you prime. If you don’t have an air compressor, a heat gun or even a hair dryer will work. I did spray in liner on my bed, glad I did, I don’t have to worry about scratched paint. Use just about any body filler to hide any imperfections. The second step with Por is the etching, use a good poly primer on all your bare metal after the etchig. Have you ever dealt with Eastwood? They have fantastic restoration tools and supplies. I’ve been buying from them forever. They’re shipping is quick too. They’re on the opposite side of Pa from me and it never takes more than 2 days, usually 1. I get thinners and other body chemicals that Summit can’t ship to me.
Hey Doug, thanks for the advice. The only painting I have done on a vehicle was with a rattle can although I do have a spray gun and compressor but have never used it. Good luck on your projects.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
With no paint exsperience, start with your priming. You’ll learn alot about how to handle the gun. Another helpfull way is starting with a non metalic color, black, white ect. that you wont have to be concerned with panel matches and spray each individual panel separately. Say just spray one fender today, another the next time, trying to paint an entire car all at once is no easy task for anyone. One? about your last post, are you putting carpet in your bed? The way it was worded sounded like it. I had the Bed Rug in a daily driver for six years and it got really beatup. Not a work truck just a family hauler crew cab 2500 HD.

Gman1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2019
Upstate SC
With no paint exsperience, start with your priming. You’ll learn alot about how to handle the gun. Another helpfull way is starting with a non metalic color, black, white ect. that you wont have to be concerned with panel matches and spray each individual panel separately. Say just spray one fender today, another the next time, trying to paint an entire car all at once is no easy task for anyone. One? about your last post, are you putting carpet in your bed? The way it was worded sounded like it. I had the Bed Rug in a daily driver for six years and it got really beatup. Not a work truck just a family hauler crew cab 2500 HD.
Thanks Doug. I have new carpet for inside. Once I know the bed is not leaking into cab I can start on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor