Belt - Upper Radiator Hose Contact

WHYTLIE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2023
Lincoln, CA
I recently installed an LQ4/4L80e into my son’s ‘86 El Camino. Speed Engineering 1 7/8” headers, Holley Blackheart 3” exhaust, Holley mother mounts and Holley trans crossmember.

I ended up using a LS Camaro water pump with Dirto Dingo (?) 3/4” spacers. Found an off the shelf Gates upper rad hose PN 22826 that worked with the Summit LS swap radiator (both pass side inlet/outlet). And had to custom build a lower rad hose with two 90° silicone couplers and an ICT Billet coupler. Also using a Holley Terminator Max.

Fast forward around 500 miles and I notice a damp spot under his car and realize the accessory belt is grooving into the top of the upper radiator hose.

I ended up swapping the stock 3.5” truck idler pulley for a 3”, and going with a shorter belt, but after a test drive I see it’s still making contact, even though there is about a 3/4” air gap between the hose and belt.

I have a Dirty Dingo truck idler pulley relocation kit on and and figure this may solve it, but I’m not thrilled with the wrap on the crank pulley.

Positive is the Dirty Dingo kit will reroute the belt so that in the future we don’t have to pull the upper rad hose to remove/replace the belt.

Your thoughts? Anyone run into this issue before? Solutions?

I'm not an LS swap expert, but post some pics and lets have a look...I'm sure guys here with LS swaps will likely chime in, and as the old adage goes...a picture paints a thousand words. 👍

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor