Belt will not stop breaking!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD
ok so i just put an olds 350 in my 87 cutlass.. and we took out the a/c.. and we keep tightenin down the waterpump/alt belt and doing our best to str8n it.. well it seemed str8 and it was workin great for about half a tank.. no squeels.. ntohing.. then it started squeeling a bit.. then the freakin belt flipped on the pulleys and jammed.. so it doesnt spin.. i cannot figure out how to fix this problem!! someone please help!! it looks str8 and everything and we tighten it super tight..

Try putting a straight-edge from pulley to pulley. You may see it's angled.

Re: ok

t_visker said:
now sir.. if it is.. how can i go about straightening it??? tahnks aton!
Well if it's not that far off you can get away w/ shims. Slide something behinde the Alt. like a washer to space it out and make it even. It it is the slightest bit off you'll throw the belt. Don't go too tight either then you'll break the tention bolt. I had a similar problem with my old SBC setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor