Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

all4gss

Apprentice
Aug 8, 2009
Bella Vista, AR
My Cab was originally equiped with a bench seat. Someone swapped in some buckets from a 4-door car and they look good. The main problem i have, besides the way they mounted the seats, is that they do not flip forward like 2-door buckets. It is a pain to get anything in/out from behind the seat.

My original plan was to find the a straight bench and toss the buckets. But I figure buckets are "cooler" and finding a bench seat has become a chore. So...

Buckets or bench in a 1980 El Camino/Cab with a factory manual shift transmission?

u have a manual shift so u have a something i n that gap i try sum camaro seats or even gns maybe even try 2 put in a center console it would look nice

Another issue was seat height. It looks like My butt is just below or even with the driveshaft hump right now. The bench seat rides over the hump so that would be 3-4 inches higher right?

i had g-body buckets in my old '84 cutlass calais. That's one route that would have at least been a factory option. A good friend of mine put some late model camaro buckets in his Malibu and they look great. I'm probably 2-3 months from making a switch but I need to decide what parts to continue hunting down.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 8-17-2010%20036.jpg
    8-17-2010%20036.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 202
Another issue was seat height. It looks like My butt is just below or even with the driveshaft hump right now. The bench seat rides over the hump so that would be 3-4 inches higher right?

i had g-body buckets in my old '84 cutlass calais. That's one route that would have at least been a factory option. A good friend of mine put some late model camaro buckets in his Malibu and they look great. I'm probably 2-3 months from making a switch but I need to decide what parts to continue hunting down.

Thanks,

Keith

my elky was also a bench seat car and some one switched it out for mcss seats. i have an ashtray on the back of my drivers seat, and theres no problem with them folding forward. the only thing i really want is a center console to cover the ugly shifter frame.

I am going to be using some leather buckets from a 2000 Trans am and the center console as well. The only thing I can see as being a problem (Albeit a small one) is the hole for the e-brake handle. I'm considering putting my e-brake there as well.

drknow,

That sounds like a good solution. Would you mind taking some notes and letting us know what kind of trouble you run into with the swap? Was your car originally a bench seat? How are you going to solve the four inner mounts near the driveshaft hump?

Thanks,

What I have always done for the inner mounts is to cut a section out of a camaro. They are spot welded in, so all you need is some drill bits and a cordless drill. I get those, then modify to fit my floor, weld them in and voila!! LOL, they are already the right width... I recommend bolting them to the seat reacks before you tack them in, to insure proper alignment. Mine was a 60/40 bench, so I will most likely just build an adaptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor