Bill of Sale No Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

442tobe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
War Eagle!
When I purchased my Cutlass the guy just had the Bill of Sale without the title and he said I could still get the tag with just the bill of sale. How would I go about getting the title? And would not having the title interfere with anything because I am going to get it on the road this summer

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I my state (NY) without a title you would be skewered. In fact my Bonnewagon took 6 months to register because I bought it from a dead guy and DMV wanted me to dig him up so he could sign something!

Member # 77

Apprentice
Feb 19, 2010
Hampton Roads, Va
442tobe said:
When I purchased my Cutlass the guy just had the Bill of Sale without the title and he said I could still get the tag with just the bill of sale. How would I go about getting the title? And would not having the title interfere with anything because I am going to get it on the road this summer

You have to do a title search.
I easiest way to go about it or at least what I did was I went to car fax and found out what state it was registered in last.
Then I called the DMV for that state. They sent a letter to the guy who was the last registered owner.
Informing him that someone is trying to register the Cutlass that he was the last owner of.
It will also let you know if the car has been stolen. (There is a chance of that)
Then you have to come up with the Bill of sales. If he wants the car back you can charge storage fees before you release the the car.
OKay I went way too much into detail.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
In my state:
Title = ownership
Bill of sale = nothing
Don't spend a penny on parts or a second in labor until you have a title in your name in your hand. Without a title you don't own it. Could be stolen. Could be totaled. Could have a title-loan lien on it. The title for your car could be being used to legitimize someone else's stolen car. The possibilities are endless. Maybe it's none of the above. Good luck.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Wow, up here a bill of sale is all you need.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
differs from province to province and state to state. Ont if you have no ownership it's a fight to get the car transferred into your name.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It varies from state to state. In some states, after a car is a certain age ( 20 or 25 years old), they no longer issue titles for them and instead go by a bill of sale. I believe this is true of Maine and Alabama, but it may have changed since then. If you therefore can tag it in one of those states, you can use the registration from there to obtain a title in your state. There are a few companies that do this for you, but in essence you sell them the car for $1, they register it, then sell it back to you with paperwork from that state. Have I ever done this? Yes. On a 1967 Ford Mustang, so it really does work! You can find the companies in Hemmings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor