Bilstein 24-009492 shocks ???'s

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
Trying ti install Bilstein 24-009492 front shocks on my 88 monte carlo ss but the 2 bolts that goes in the bottom will not start are these bolts different than the stock bolts if so what size are they and how can i get them to fit ,the stock bolts seems to short for the Bilstein shocks?Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Trying ti install Bilstein 24-009492 front shocks on my 88 monte carlo ss but the 2 bolts that goes in the bottom will not start are these bolts different than the stock bolts if so what size are they and how can i get them to fit ,the stock bolts seems to short for the Bilstein shocks?Thanks
The stock bolts are METRIC M8x1.25 30mm long, are you re-using those and they're just too short? Or are you using some bolts that may have come with the shocks that might not be metric. If they're too short because the bilsteins have thicker mount brackets you can just go get some longer metric ones, maybe 35-40mm at an ACE hardware. The places by me have actual metric FLANGE head bolts which are preferable to regular cap screws with washers imho.

If the heads of the bolts have hash marks on them (standard threads), and not metric numbers (ie; 8.8, 10.9, etc) you wanna be careful not to strip the cage nuts clipped into the lower arm.

Reactions: 1 users
Trying to use the bolts that came with the shocks may just try longer stock bolts.
Yup you can't use the ones that came with the shocks if they're not metric, or they didn't come with replacement matching J clips to thread into. You wouldn't want to strip those out, so getting the longer metric bolts would be the way to go!

Good luck!

I usually drop the bolts in from the top and use a nut and washer on the bottom. If you use a lock washer under the bolt head, you don't have to put a wrench on the bolt if you use a 3/8 impact.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor