Shocks

I understand that shocks in a suspension are there just to help the overall ride along with the springs as a whole, no miracles expected.

According to the VIN, 5th letter "J", the car came originally with a 267cid V8, now sporting a ZZ4, which is just another small block, the front springs are probably in need of changing either way, i'll see how the malibu fairs overall after all four corners are changed.

At least you know the shocks are new! If it improves the ride, then you know the KYB's served the car well but had to go. If it still is the same, the springs are weak.

Eaton springs are still made in Detroit.

79 Malibu Classic- 350 CID application. Pick your poison. Of course there's all sorts of aftermarket options available. This is just one. If you choose to research Eaton, call them first and they can drill down to get exactly what you need. Besides, they use the good stuff, SAE 5160 steel, which is why they cost more, and were (maybe still are) an OEM supplier for a zillion years. They know what they're doing. $478 for all corners, but pay once, cry once if you want the stock ride height. Last time I looked them up they were $400/set. Fudge.

1729348707068.png

Reactions: Sweet_Johnny
Thanks for the heads up from EATON... what exactly would constitute the use of the heavy duty springs, using a big block in place of the small block, or did i just answer my own question.

I was thinking about going UMI for everything front and back... but it appears they only offer 1" to 2" lowering springs, i'd like to keep mine stock ride height, im content with that, and i dont ever plan on going big block or LS, 1st gen old school SBC only.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor