BUILD THREAD Bobrobs 86 Cutlass

Bobrob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 21, 2023
NH
Is it a build or a fix it up?

Your choice but I figured I'd start a thread to document all the stuff I'm doing to this old gal.

Here's what I started with:

FB_IMG_1684781134437~2.jpg

Pretty much a plain Jane 86 Brougham with a ratty vinyl roof, faded and rough (to the touch) paint and a pretty decent interior with non-functioning power windows and an R12 A/C system that was converted (according to a sticker under the hood) to 134A:, no tail lights and a power antenna that doesn't work.

50373.jpeg

I replaced both window motors and associated switches, the headlight switch, which fixed the no taillights issue, and believe it or not, I pulled a vacuum on the AC and it held just fine. After evacuating and putting 2 lbs of 134a in the system, I have A/C, though after about 45 minutes, the compressor started complaining a bit, so I may need to change it out. But first, I decided to work on the appearance:

PXL_20230608_192444917.jpg

Vinyl top and associated hardware gone.

PXL_20230608_192509396.jpg

Sanding and trim removal in progress:

PXL_20230608_192436017.jpg
PXL_20230608_192521999.jpg

Fortunately, most of the rust I found was limited to the surface with only 3 spots having rusted through, which were pretty easy fixes.

I have the paint on the way from Eastwood, going with the single stage Meteor Grey Metallic. It's been almost 40 years since I painted a car, but how hard can it be?

Stay tuned, I plan to paint it next Thursday the 15th or so.

Reactions: 8 users

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Sweet, I like to think that painting is like riding a bike...she looks good and I can't wait to see her painted! Keep us posted and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, looking forward to seeing you get some color on her

Reactions: 1 user

Bobrob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 21, 2023
NH
Looks like a very decent specimen. No rust under the old vinyl? Assuming the floors etc are pretty good too.

Not a speck of rust under the vinyl, I'm happy to report.

Floors and trunk are solid. The only holes I found were under the filler panel between the trunk lid and rear window. There was some very minor surface rust under the lower door/rocker trim but that's about it. I had one small dent behind the drivers door to fix and that's about it.

As of now, I have the whole car sanded to 320 and will probably take it to400, then 600 early next week, and plan to paint on Thursday the 15th.

Also, I noticed a small coolant leak which seems to be coming from above the starter. ...YAY. Freeze plug I'm guessing.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Yep, expansion/freeze plug! Probably from the cylinder head one in the rear.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Orrrrrrr........my money is on the rear corner intake gasket where aluminum intake meets the head. Common leak points, unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user

Bobrob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 21, 2023
NH
Ok... after a false start with a crappy paint gun, I had to sand and respray with a much better result:

Cutlass painted.jpg

Perfect? Hardly but I'm not too disappointed. It has some orange peel and it's not factory fresh, but for $200 worth of Eastwoods most economical and a couple of afternoons at hard labor, it's presentable.

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor