Body bushing ride comfort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
I have read allot on here about changing the body bushings and mine are shot so I am going to change them hopefully this Sunday.

The poly mounts seem to be allot easier to find and cheaper but besides the squeak that some have and some don't how much does it affect the ride?

I plan on keeping the rubber in the control arms and changing the sway bar, end links, and body bushings to poly instead of rubber. Will this take too much cushion out of the ride? Or would it be left up to the shocks and springs for comfort?

I don't plan on racing the car just cruising around. I am leaning toward the rubber bushing set from OPGI. But why is it more expensive than the poly suspension?

I have read allot on here about changing the body bushings and mine are shot so I am going to change them hopefully this Sunday.

The poly mounts seem to be allot easier to find and cheaper but besides the squeak that some have and some don't how much does it affect the ride?

I plan on keeping the rubber in the control arms and changing the sway bar, end links, and body bushings to poly instead of rubber. Will this take too much cushion out of the ride? Or would it be left up to the shocks and springs for comfort?

I don't plan on racing the car just cruising around. I am leaning toward the rubber bushing set from OPGI. But why is it more expensive than the poly suspension?

Here is a pic of the front driver side

Attachments

• body bushing.jpg
    body bushing.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 629
Here is a pic of the front driver side

Go with the Poly. I went through the same thought process before installing Energy Suspension body mounts and was worried about the squeek rumor that someone started on line. I have never had an issue with noise and never heard the "squeek".. I do have poly bushings in my UMI lower control arms which made noise during break in but after proper lubrication they are quiet. The ride with poly body mounts is obviously firm compared to the rubber factory mounts but G bodies need all the help in that department they can get. Some guys use delrin body mounts with no give at all. Poly mounts are a good solution in my opinion and as you have discovered are also a cost effective solution.

Last edited:
I don't think you will notice much difference in ride quality.
I didn't notice much when I put the PST Poly Graphite body bushings in mine.
Also I don't think that body bushings will squeak at all that problem seems to come from control arm bushings not lubed with the proper poly lube that is available from Energy Suspension.
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: Longroof79
Body bushings don't rotate so they can't squeak while suspension bushings do rotate. Poly suspension bushings squeak because they don't rotate smoothly and the squeak goes away because of cold flow.

I just did the poly body bushings this spring, and noticed a huge change in the ride. Of course with one body bushing completely missing and the a couple of others no far behind, it was long overdue. I really have no regrets on the poly. Much firmer ride, less squeaks and rattles inside.

I've got poly on all the suspension with 50K on it, no regrets there either, but mines just a driver, so I've never pushed it enough to get the snap over steer phenomenon that the internet talks about.

I don't think you will notice much difference in ride quality.
I didn't notice much when I put the PST Poly Graphite body bushings in mine.
Also I don't think that body bushings will squeak at all that problem seems to come from control arm bushings not lubed with the proper poly lube that is available from Energy Suspension.
Guy

I agree, I think when the OEM body bushings are new they compress very little so there isn't a drastic difference with the poly bushing. I lubed my energy bushings in my control arms when i put them in few years ago and they never made any noise.

Reactions: Longroof79
I used to drive 93 caprice with all stock suspension and new poly body bushings and it was horrible to ride,
may be because rest of suspensinsion was worn out but car was soft and flabby in corners and stiff on straight

I have a set ES body bushings for my regal but haven't install it yet

Last edited:
I have also installed the Energy Suspension body bushings, and it firmed the car up dramatically. No squeaks whatsoever. However, I have experienced some squeaking from the poly control arm bushings when the weather was cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor