Body to rad support issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you kind of changed the problem now, originally you made it sound liked the rad support was hanging by both fenders evenly about an inch, that is not a big deal and very common if the car sat on stands for a period of time with the motor in. But now I'm assuming you bolted the support down then placed the fenders on and the right one fits and the left one doesnt, that is a very different problem, are all of these parts the same ones you took off the car? If so check all your left side body bushings and make sure they seated right, the one under the center of the door can get hung up easy, an easy way to check body placement is a bar across the bottoms of the frame then measure up to the pinch weld on the rocker, and no based on your new pics I would not pull the fender down with the bolt you will just bend it. Start double checking everything something is not sitting correctly

So I sorted out my problem. I was getting my roof done yesterday and the roofer was and still does on the side auto restoration I was going through my dilemma and a couple of options that he gave me.

1) (which is what I did and worked perfect) Is to cut the #2 bushing in the front. He said to first line up the fenders or doors first if you had them removed previously. Make sure the rad support is not on the fenders. Once you get the fenders lined up you can cut the body bushing to length.remember not to cut too much as the bushing will compress a bit. You will also have to cut the bushing sleeve. I cut a little lower than the bushing so it. If you have the energy suspension poly bushings you will see 2 lines on the bushing. The bottom line is the one I cut off.

The rad support to fender went from 1" to a 1/4 " on the passenger side and about 1" to 1/8" on the passenger side. I used the slice of the poly bushing that I cut as a spacer for the rad support and it worked perfect!

2) is you can shim the #4 bushing to raise the body in the back which will in turn bring the front down which will bring it close or up to rad support.

I chose the first option because I thought the height of the front bushing was a tad tall.

Before

20140527_183157_zps8wesxqqt.jpg

After

20140601_095052_zpshi8qgx2j.jpg

I hope this helps.

Thanks again for all your input guys

Joe

Reactions: 1981lemans455
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor