body trim/door help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodyfever

Greasemonkey
Jun 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ok boys, i got my parts cutlass and i need to get rid of her, no room anywhere for it, so i need to strip what i need and quick but im not sure how to get some stuff off,
How do you get the rear window trim, actually all the window trim off?! without breaking anothing or bending it? do i need a special tool or what exactly is involved?

second, i want the manual doors out of it sinse there way less rusty, and not faded material and manual, BUT the doors on my daily are eletric locks/windows, so is this still interchangeble ?? I DONT want the electric locks or windows, so do i just disconnect the wires and hide them and bolt them up or will this effect anything being not hooked up ? ect details about this if theres any please, thanks.

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
gbodyfever said:
i want the manual doors out of it sinse there way less rusty, and not faded material and manual, BUT the doors on my daily are eletric locks/windows, so is this still interchangeble ?? I DONT want the electric locks or windows, so do i just disconnect the wires and hide them and bolt them up or will this effect anything being not hooked up ? ect details about this if theres any please, thanks.

That's what I was planning to do... replace my doors (which have power windows, but not door locks) with a manual door and just cut the wires, cap them off and tuck them out of the way. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
No need to cut and hack. The door wiring harnesses disconnect from the main harness. They are located on the body side of the boot and just unplug from the power harness at that point. You can remove the boots with a 1/4 in socket or a gear wrench on the body side and they just pop out on the door side. Don't throw them away though, find someone who can use them and sell them or give them to that person. The rivets holding the regulators and lock actuators come out by grinding the heads off with an angle grinder in a few seconds. We need to preserve these parts now while they are still easy to find. In a few years parts for these cars will become very hard to find as more and more get scrapped every day.

As for the window trim, you could get a trim removal tool at the parts store or just carefully unhook it with a hooked pick and pop em off that way. Break the clips if you must, but be careful of the trim. The clips are still sold new but that trim is not.

gbodyfever

Greasemonkey
Jun 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
finally , thankyou. and as far as the b-piller trim, it seems like there some type of adhesive? stuff on the back i cant see any clips, so im baffled about to get this peice off ?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The B pillar trim is sealed to the car with double sided foam tape. It is also attached to the car by screws that go through the weatherstripping rail. Once the rail is off, you will need to remove the screws that are below the rail and hold it to the pillar. There is also some butyl acetate caulk up in the corner where the pillar meets the roof. It may stick to the trim and hold it there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor