Bought an lt1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Picked up a LT1 from the swap meet yesterday. It's from a 96 firebird formula, came complete minus alt and fly wheel. Got the harness and comp but the harness is a MESS. I think my buddy and I will pull it apart tomorrow to see what it looks like.

Hoping I'm not gonna have to dump a lot into it but we'll see.

Oh yeah got it for $200.

Any lt1 gbodys around here? Let me know how you like it.

Well started tearing the lt1 down tonight, this was my first tear down ever so it took a little time. Got the intake off then started on the heads when I hit a snag. I wasn't aware of this but apparently there is a certain order to take the heads off, after I get all of the outer bolts out I started on the ones under the valve covers and immediately couldn't get the first on loose so my buddy takes a crack at it and bam, stripped. So he try's the next on and same thing. So his dad comes over and notices right away what I did wrong. So that's where we stopped for the night, he's gonna help me out tomorrow night when I get off work to get the heads off.

But the heads looked pretty clean, hoping the rest matches.

PICS:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 963
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 958
Why are you taking it apart? A compression test would have told you pretty much everything you'll need to know. The order you took the bolts out wasn't likely the cause of the stripped head bolts. Removal order only matters when working on a hot engine (dealership setting) to minimize warpage. When reinstalling and torquing them correct order is very important.
Be sure to chase all the holes in the block before you put it back together.

Im really taking it apart for the experience. I want to learn how to take a motor apart and rebuild it and put it all back together. No better way to learn than to do it!

Well I got my heads off today the bores look pretty good and it appears to have been rebuilt before. It had some felpro head gaskets on it, no lip on the bore and good cross hatching.

Here's some pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 809
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 815
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 835
What makes you think it has been rebuilt? Are the pistons marked?

The LT1 was the best thing to happen to my cutlass. So far at least. Just take your time rebuilding it. Clean it up real good. Remember that you get what you pay for so don't skimp. I used arp hard bolts, and took my time. I also used all new electronics and water pump. Check out my build thread, did all the work myself. If you have any questions let me know. Good luck!

I don't remember seeing anything on the pistons but the heads had "15" etched on the bottom. My friend said that's something some machine shops do to leave there mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor