Brake Booster Vacuum Leak ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I'm thinking I have a vacuum leak from my brake booster.

I have this audible fairly faint and high pitched whistling sound that gets louder as I'm accelerating.

I've replaced the brake booster valve a few months ago, but it didn't stop the whistling...

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Doesn't sound like a booster. You lose vacuum when accelerating. Find a safe place to drive and plug the vacuum hose and see if it makes the noise. Just will be harder to apply brakes

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Doesn't sound like a booster. You lose vacuum when accelerating. Find a safe place to drive and plug the vacuum hose and see if it makes the noise. Just will be harder to apply brakes
At idle, vacuum reads good, but when I put it in drive, the gauge reads bad vacuum...

As I'm driving, the whistling gets louder...today I will smoke test to see if there is a leak anywhere else.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am going to say more than likely it is a gasket or hose related to a recent carb/intake swap.

Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Best way to test a brake booster is with a Mityvac.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor