brake lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979elcamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver Island
i'm considering replacing my entire brake line system, i was wondering if it's necessary that the lines coming off the master cylinder need to be spiraled? if so, why are they spiraled?

I think the spiraling has something to do with preventing the pressure in the lines from bursting them. The spiraling provides a lot of length in the line compared to if it were straight giving the hot fluid more area to expand to.

I'm sure someone who knows more will answer soon.

they spiral so that if the body flexes or shifts there's someplace for the lines to flex that won't cause them to fail. do you HAVE to do it? no, but have a little extra line in there in a bend, just in case.
i have also heard something about the spiral making up for the length distance between the front lines and the rear, but not sure how correct that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor