Brake Master Cylinder Swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte Cristo

Apprentice
Aug 10, 2015
Really you disagree well when you stop reading on line get out of your mom's basement and actually work on a car you'll get some real world experience troll

I first overhauled an entire brake system from front to back, and replaced every seal and brake line 25 years ago. Maybe you were still living with your parents then?

I enjoy learning things from other people and their experiences on the forum. I am never to old to learn something new.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 users

manualbrakes.com

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2016
More than likely, all the caliper castings are the same.

These vehicles have calipers that will interchange. Buy remanufactured calipers in chile if you can.

1978-1988 gbody (malibu, cutlass, regal, el Camino, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix)

1982-1992 fbody (Camaro, firebird)

1982-2003 s10 truck and suv

wnagel

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2013
Santiago Of Chile.
After reading all post and Think in that I decide:

.- For now I try to conserv the original master cylinder , who work up to the last week decently, repair the existng caliper, bleed and use....

.- Search a S10 caliper, and when I have and rebuild I use the new style master cylinder with the correct caliper.

Thanks a lot to all.....

I have a problem with my intake seal ...please someone can help me?

here is the post.....

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/olds-cutlass-supreme-1978-from-chile.61924/page-10#post-580760

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
Thanks, S10 caliper is 100% compatible?...good! here has a lot of them...

Two wheel drive S-10 calipers are 100% compatible unless they changed something with the Chile S10s that I don't know about. I doubt they changed anything, but I don't know enough Spanish to research it.

1978 and some 1979 G-bodies have a different spindle, rotor, and outer bearing than most 1979-1988 gbodies and 1982-2003 S10s. The outer wheel bearing is smaller, which affects the spindle hub mount and the rotor outside bearing race.

Two wheel drive S10 brake assembly (spindles, rotors, bearings, calipers, pads) is a bolt in to any G-body. A 1979-1988 g-body spindle assembly and two wheel drive S10 spindle assembly are the same.

Since your g-body came with a 1 year only spindle assembly, you can pull the entire spindle assembly from the late model S10 so you can get service the wheel bearings and rotors anytime you need to if you need to. If your current 1978 rotor and wheel bearings are good and functioning, you can just buy replacement calipers, pads, and master cylinder from the S10 and use it on your Cutlass. Make sure you get the right hand drive 1998-2003 S10 master cylinder with the port outlet facing the same way as your stock g-body master cylinder.

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=124945

Part number for the master cylinder is 18M974

You should also be able to use the rubber brake hoses from an S10 on for the front calipers of your cultass. The rear rubber brake hose is longer on the S10, but it should bolt in to the gbody hard line fitting and axle fitting.

The studs on newer S10 rotors are metric. Your studs on your rotors are standard SEA. The bolt pattern for both rotors are the same and the wheels you are using will bolt onto the new rotor using metric lug nuts.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

wnagel

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2013
Santiago Of Chile.
Two wheel drive S-10 calipers are 100% compatible unless they changed something with the Chile S10s that I don't know about. I doubt they changed anything, but I don't know enough Spanish to research it.

1978 and some 1979 G-bodies have a different spindle, rotor, and outer bearing than most 1979-1988 gbodies and 1982-2003 S10s. The outer wheel bearing is smaller, which affects the spindle hub mount and the rotor outside bearing race.

Two wheel drive S10 brake assembly (spindles, rotors, bearings, calipers, pads) is a bolt in to any G-body. A 1979-1988 g-body spindle assembly and two wheel drive S10 spindle assembly are the same.

Since your g-body came with a 1 year only spindle assembly, you can pull the entire spindle assembly from the late model S10 so you can get service the wheel bearings and rotors anytime you need to if you need to. If your current 1978 rotor and wheel bearings are good and functioning, you can just buy replacement calipers, pads, and master cylinder from the S10 and use it on your Cutlass. Make sure you get the right hand drive 1998-2003 S10 master cylinder with the port outlet facing the same way as your stock g-body master cylinder.

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=124945

Part number for the master cylinder is 18M974

You should also be able to use the rubber brake hoses from an S10 on for the front calipers of your cultass. The rear rubber brake hose is longer on the S10, but it should bolt in to the gbody hard line fitting and axle fitting.

The studs on newer S10 rotors are metric. Your studs on your rotors are standard SEA. The bolt pattern for both rotors are the same and the wheels you are using will bolt onto the new rotor using metric lug nuts.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

In resume about the S10 brake.

Due I have a unique spindle....

1- Maintain mi spindle, rotors and bearing and I can change the caliper for S10 82-2003 in Conjuntion with the S10 master cilynder.

or

2.- Take a spindle from S10, change the bearing , change the rotor, repair caliper and use a pad ,,,and put in my cutlass....

GREAT!!!

Here in impossible to obtain a new rotor for my cutlass but for s10 is more easy to fnd any parts....

2 is the option.....

All save me a lot of money!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor