Brake pulsation mild to extreme each trip

Rory

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2021
My 1979 Regal has had the Rotors machines previously and just got brand new drums installed. Every time I drive the car it starts out with smooth brake action. Gradually a brake pulsation comes on. The farther I drive the worse the pulsation gets until it is unbearable at about 4 to 5 miles of town driving. The same happens the next time I drive the car. I feel no pulsating in the brake pedal or steering wheel. Rear wheel cylinders were rebuilt 7K ago. With the car up on a hoist there is no brake dragging. So what is causing the oncoming pulsation on each trip? It can get so bad that people stare at me lurching behind the wheel as the car pulsates to a stop and wonder if I am an epileptic and having a seizure.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
My bet is on the front rotors. To verify, get the rears axle housing up on stands. Run the car in gear. Drag the brakes and report back if there is vibration. This will be pretty much not doable if you have an open differential.

Does this pulsation move the steering wheel? That would be bad rotors.

Reactions: 1 user

Rory

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2021
My bet is on the front rotors. To verify, get the rears axle housing up on stands. Run the car in gear. Drag the brakes and report back if there is vibration. This will be pretty much not doable if you have an open differential.

Does this pulsation move the steering wheel? That would be bad rotors.
No pulsation at all felt in steering wheel. Been pulsating even after the rotors were machined. The brakes have no pulsation at the beginning of a drive. Only after driving and gets worse the farther I drive. Then no pulsation at the beginning of the next trip. I am going to replace the master cylinder and flex hoses next.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Have you inspected the calipers and wheel bearings.

Rory

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2021
Have you inspected the calipers and wheel bearings.
That was recently done. Pads and calipers inspected and bearing repacked. I have talked to 2 automotive brake shops and they have no idea what to look for.

Last edited:

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Are the bearings new and if they are did they replace the races in the rotors. Do know how many times the rotors have been cut? If there been cut to many times they are out spec and thin, that's when the problems start.

Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Have to throw this out there, Remove your rear drums and verify your brake shoes have the short shoe facing the front of the car and the long shoe faces the rear.
If they are mixed (Long shoe in front short in back) it could be contacting the brake drum once heated causing a chatter.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Brake pulsation is usually caused by warped rotors. Its something many brake shops can miss. Even if the rotors were turned they still can return to a warped shape since its stressed metal. it sounds like as your brakes heat up from use they warp more increasing the pulsations. As the brakes cool off overnight, the rotors return back to a less warped state until they heat up again.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

NJ Longroof

Random guy
Feb 27, 2020
Brake pulsation is usually caused by warped rotors. Its something many brake shops can miss. Even if the rotors were turned they still can return to a warped shape since its stressed metal. it sounds like as your brakes heat up from use they warp more increasing the pulsations. As the brakes cool off overnight, the rotors return back to a less warped state until they heat up again.
My old mechanic would always put new rotors on his jobs. He said turned rotors even when in spec tended to warp.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor