Break in th350?? Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myles

Apprentice
Jun 17, 2011
Hey guys,

So my 81malibu is ready for cam break in tomorrow morning, after almost a year working on it part part time!
(Yes, Monday when everyone's at work)

How much oil / when to add oil to my th350? The entire car is a fresh build.

Th350 fresh with rebestus clutches and upgraded sprag. Stage 2 transgo kit. Builder claims good for 450hp repeated wippings.

8" custom built stall 42-4500. I could barely add any oil during install without loosing it all, it's pretty tiny. Medium sized transmission cooler up front.

We will be 1 guy on timing gun and throttle and 1 guy checking everything else as everythings be changed.

What's a good starting point, a few quarts?

Thanks guys
Myles

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
First get a friend to help you - too much going on. With an 8in converter, start out with at least 6 quarts. I assume it is a flat tappet to be breaking it in so have good oil w/zinc. Static time the car so you get a quick start and get the RPMS up. While your friend keeps the rpms around 3000 check the timing - 34 to 36 @ 3000 w/o vac. It's all eyes and ears during break-in - watch temp and oil pr. Once done top off all your fluids, add the center valve springs if you have a big cam and your done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Myles

Apprentice
Jun 17, 2011
The break in went well! Thanks for all your help.

No leaks, nothing. I think I love solid cams now, lol. And with those 215cc heads, feels like theres no redline haaha

Just have to change the thermostate,
Might try a 160. Its maybe only 375hp with a big 4core and electric pump.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor