bring a trailer auction 87 Elkie with 3,400 miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I can attest to the RJS and the nasty sh*t they get everywhere under the undercarriage. My 87 442 had it done in Ohio right after the car was purchased new by the original owner. What's worse, my 85 got a similar rust proofing thing done AUTOMATICALLY when it got to the dealership. I didn't pay for it because they wanted to add it on and I told them I never authorized that stuff. Scrape it off for all I care.

I just spent 12 hours of my life scraping that lanolin oil like crap off the back half of my Monte. I cannot bear to look at the car right now... it hurt me deeply.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
That soft bend does not look original, also looks to have a stain on the carpet in front of the seat, piece of velcro on the instrament cluster. BAT is no different than Gateway and other consignment sites, they only know what the seller tells them.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I just spent 12 hours of my life scraping that lanolin oil like crap off the back half of my Monte. I cannot bear to look at the car right now... it hurt me deeply.
What's worse, when they did it to my 85 442, I lived in Charleston, SC. Does it LOOK like southern cars NEED rustproofing? We'll see if that turned out to be a dumb move by them or not soon.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
What's worse, when they did it to my 85 442, I lived in Charleston, SC. Does it LOOK like southern cars NEED rustproofing? We'll see if that turned out to be a dumb move by them or not soon.

These cars rust just by looking at them the wrong way.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
These cars rust just by looking at them the wrong way.
True. Mine's still solid from what I can see from the bellypans underneath. Even with T-tops. When I dig into the interior and yank out the carpeting, that will be the tell.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
True. Mine's still solid from what I can see from the bellypans underneath. Even with T-tops. When I dig into the interior and yank out the carpeting, that will be the tell.

Hopefully you never have to look between the layers of steel being held together by half-assed spot welds.

I'd be afraid of the damage a wet sneeze would have caused on the assembly line.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
My 2 cents says it was not born as a 2-tone, and the sftermarket striping highlights that.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Is 3GCCW80H8HS911715 supposed to be the VIN? (In the BaT Essentials sidebar.)

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Looks like a repaint to me. Maybe it was a real "barn find" and the sparrow shjt ate the o.g. lacquer.
If some of it got repainted, it was done fairly well, although I did notice some odd checking and not so factory-looking paint in some areas. Can't speak for over the border paint, but by 1987, base/clear was widely used by GM across their entire lineup. On this car, there seems to be a ridge of clear build-up around the gas tank flap opening. That's weird. Of course, it was built in Mexico, so no telling what QA stuff they did there. I looked at other camino pics on the net and none of them had body colored radiator supports. Something does smell a bit fishy about this vehicle. WHY paint the radiator support blue? And it looks like the hood latch got painted, too. It presents well and it certainly doesn't seem to show it's a high-mile car trying to fake everyone out as far as mileage, but there are some things I have questions about.

Besides the questionable 2-tone and side stripes (I'd like to see the SPID) didn't elky's also come with rock guard on the bottom as well as "run of the mill" cars in 1987? This car has none anywhere I can see.

It's currently at 12,500 and IMO, that's about what I would say this car is worth. I'm betting it's going to go higher by next week because- El Camino- but it's not a Royal Knight or SS or any of the more gussied up packages. The only thing this car has going for it IMO is the 305, and that's only because then you can drop that GM 383 crate engine in there without much trouble. Doesn't even have an OD transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor