Broken Bolt - Thermostat Housing to Intake Manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I've tried to drill it in with a left handed drill bit for an extractor bit to extract it but didn't have center punches to use in the beginning...tore the bolt up...
20220304_161103.jpg

Can't get housing on without it leaking, of course.

How can I get this bolt out ?

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I used the mig weld method on my 04 Super Duty 5.4 exhaust manifold studs. High amperage tack welds on the studs building until you can grab it with a good sharp pair of vise grips. The high heat expanded the stud enough in the aluminum head that with a small amount of rocking they backed right out.
Great method just that you need the welder and time.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I've tried to drill it in with a left handed drill bit for an extractor bit to extract it but didn't have center punches to use in the beginning...tore the bolt up...
View attachment 193691

Can't get housing on without it leaking, of course.

How can I get this bolt out ?
You actually drilled something in that pic? If using the LH drill bit, reverse the rotation of the drill direction & see if it makes a difference as far as digging in.

If not, use a regular drill bit in a clockwise direction. You're possibly going to need some heat getting that remaining portion of the bolt out but need to start w/the EZ out though. Drill the small pilot hole first. Then step up in size & repeat the process. You want to use the largest EZ out you can since the little ones like to break easily. Getting stuck bolts out using EZ Out's or screw/bolt extractors require patience. They don't just pop right out & you can't crank the sh*t out of them because they're hardened steel & will snap. If you're turning the extractor & you see it actually starting to twist (the tool, not the bolt) DON"T KEEP TURNING/TWISTING! Forcing it more when it's already twisting is usually when they snap off.

And..... Plug up the water inlet opening when your working on this project. You don't want debris getting into the water jacket loop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
You actually drilled something in that pic? If using the LH drill bit, reverse the rotation of the drill direction & see if it makes a difference as far as digging in.
Yea, the cheap *ss harbor freight LH bits broke, the two smallest ones in the kit. The first bit and I used the size up and it broke into the broken stud. It was spinning in reverse with the LH drill...
If not, use a regular drill bit in a clockwise direction. You're possibly going to need some heat getting that remaining portion of the bolt out but need to start w/the EZ out though. Drill the small pilot hole first. Then step up in size & repeat the process. You want to use the largest EZ out you can since the little ones like to break easily. Getting stuck bolts out using EZ Out's or screw/bolt extractors require patience.
Gotcha, I'll try that

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Yea, the cheap *ss harbor freight LH bits broke, the two smallest ones in the kit. The first bit and I used the size up and it broke into the broken stud. It was spinning in reverse with the LH drill...

Gotcha, I'll try that

If not, use a regular drill bit in a clockwise direction. You're possibly going to need some heat getting that remaining portion of the bolt out but need to start w/the EZ out though. Drill the small pilot hole first. Then step up in size & repeat the process. You want to use the largest EZ out you can since the little ones like to break easily. Getting stuck bolts out using EZ Out's or screw/bolt extractors require patience. They don't just pop right out & you can't crank the sh*t out of them because they're hardened steel & will snap. If you're turning the extractor & you see it actually starting to twist (the tool, not the bolt) DON"T KEEP TURNING/TWISTING! Forcing it more when it's already twisting is usually when they snap off.

And..... Plug up the water inlet opening when your working on this project. You don't want debris getting into the water jacket loop.
I was editing the other post w/additional important info.....

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Even with a reverse drill or EZ Out, I would hit the stud with an oxy torch to free the bolt.

Last edited:

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Instead of a center punch, what you need is something called a "Transfer Punch". They come in sets from around a 1/16th od to 1/2 inch. The trick to them is that their body is the exact diameter of the hole and they are tipped with a short point that will mark the metal.

To use one, all you have to do is set the t-stat housing back into position and use the one good bolt to secure it. It has to be located just exactly as it would be if there were the two bolts doing the job. Then you use either the 3/8ths or the 25/64ths t-fer punch, depending on which of them is snugger in the hole in the ear of the housing. The housing acts as your guide, you set the punch into the hole, make absolutely sure everything is exactly where you need and want it to be, and then just use a regular machinists or ball pein hammer to apply a good solid tap to the punch, same as if you were marking metal with a regular punch. Once you do that, remove the punch and the housing and check your work.

If you have a good well defined dimple showing in the stump of the bolt and it looks to be centered correctly, then go ahead and run a pilot hole through the corpse of the bolt. Do Not use the stump of the bolt as a gauge or guide to tell you if the punch mark is centered. Remember that the hole is threaded and it can appear like the punch mark fell off center but is, in fact, an optical illusion.

Once you run that pilot hole, and be careful not to lean on the drill too hard or you might be trying to extract a broken drill bit along with the bolt, you can go bigger on the drill bit until you are happy, or as close to the threads as you care to be, or you have removed enough that you can pick the rest out using suitable tools for the process, or may be able to use an extractor but be careful with them with because they can be brittle and break too, Or, you can use the pilot hole to guide your left hand bit, and any good tool house should carry them, and try for the extraction that way For the left hand bit, you want High Speed Steel, abbreviated, HSS, to show on the shank of the bit. Don't go with CSS, that is Carbon Steel and they are soft and die easily.

Again, if all else fails, like has been already mentioned above, there is the option of gutting the hole of its threads and installing a Heli-Coil. They come in kits, usually with a special drill bit if needed, and have excellent instructions as to how to go about making the repair.

This next part is just me and not something I would generally recommend but for the helicoils that I have installed, if possible, I do two things. First I spray the site with a generous coat of Locktite Clean and Prime. The C&P contains a catalyst that will assist the Locktite to set. Then I coat the insert with a very stingy amount of Locktite Red; just s small drop or two, no more, and immediately install it in the guide sleeve and use the insertion tool to screw it down and into position. Remove the insertion tool immediately and stop. The instructions will tell you to use needle nose pliers, or a screwdriver or pin punch to snap out the tang on the end of the h-coil. For myself, I wait a day and then snap out the tang. The day is me wanting to make sure that the Red sets completely before I go hunting for that tang. Retrieving that tang is a PITA. If the hole is blind then you can fish it fairly easily but if the hole is open to the water jacket and you drop it into the chamber below the t-stat then you have to do a little fishing around in there to drag it out into the open and grab it.

Why all the hubbub about that little sliver of metal? Well, if all it did was to drop and sit there then all might be well. If coolant circulating happens to grab it then it can end up in the water pump and really ruin your day.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I ordered a center punch kit, should be here on Monday...
All you need is one punch that looks like this. This is a center punch. I have only one and Ive had it for over 40 years. Is there a Lowes or Home Depot near you ? Even hardware stores carry them. Probably well under $10.
Hit it with a decent weight hammer. Put the indent in what you want to drill.

1646456128691.png

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor