Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Building weld up on the broken bolt is easy. I highly recommend this method. Make sure you protect the head from weld splatter and you will be OK. As you can see in the pic below I used a harbour fright flux wire welder and duct tape which worked OK. I had 3 broken bolts on the 5.3 heads that came out easy with a vise grip.
View attachment 121448
I've had the same thing happen to me. I was lucky it was on a 5A (307) head and it was a "through bolt" hole. Just drilled it all the way through and then used MAPP torch to heat up the head area around it and it eazy outed right out. I still think I was lucky.

Olds heads suck when they eat your bolt.

Anyway, glad to see you here! How you feeling lately?

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Anyway, glad to see you here! How you feeling lately?

I'm off the narcotics and I'm healing as expected. On Friday I meet with the oncologist to review their latest pathology report. I am hoping an praying that there will be a suitable treatment option. Thanks for asking.

Reactions: 3 users

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
i hope everything goes good for you Anubis.

With the broken bolt which one is broken KAP makes kits for broken exhaust manifold studs. I too broke an easy out in one and used the KAP plate and i have no leaks

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
And that's why I didn't do my header installation..

11 out of 12 snapped off... they did all 12 with helicoils. (Cost just a lil extra)

-Gonz

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
You may be able to drill it out, but chances are you will eat up a lot of drill bits since the stud is actually harder than the manifold it's broken off into. I worked at a Midas for years and I've had this problem hundreds if not thousands of times. Your 3 easiest options, either find another manifold with good or no studs, leave it in and find a thing called "clamp a stud" it looks like a baby c-clamp and allows you to use the top part to slip over the manifold with the broken stud where it is, then you tighten the threaded rod against your flange, they actually work great, or find a reputable exhaust shop with acetylene torches and someone confident that they can just "blow the old stud out" without damaging the threads in the manifold and pay them $20-30 bucks to do it (it can be done)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor