Brought home my 79 malibu 4spd wagon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsteen

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2012
Well guys i finally got it home. Its a 79 malibu wagon, one owner, 100,000 miles, 305 with a FACTORY 4 SPEED! The good ol boy of an owner wanted to keep the dealer papers for sentimental reasons but he made copies of them for me. They are very interesting and i will post a pic of them later. The papers verify that it is a 305 and 4 speed, one thing that really surprised me was that A/C was a $562 option!!! Has been sitting for 3-4 years. Im going to start with a battery, new gas, plugs, and wires and i hope to have a running car. The interior is going to need some attention after the mice got after it. Heres some pics, ile post progress pics as i go.

2012-07-22164205.jpg

2012-07-22164210.jpg

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
Good looking ride, what are your plans for it after its running?

jmsteen

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2012
I would sell it if its worth a considerable amount but for the most part i would kind of like to keep it. I have a 406 that would make a great powerplant in the wagon but from what ive heard the saginaw might not hold up to the power. I have some stock monte ss rims that will look good on it for now. The forum has opened my eyes up to a few mods that i would love to do to it also such as trimming and tucking the bumpers, and corvette brakes on all 4 corners

Anybody got any other additions to getting it started? Can the fuel be siphoned out of the tank pretty easy?

Im bringing a battery, new gas, plugs, and wires. Also changing the oil and filter.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Congratulations! What a great find. It almost reminds me of mine when I first bought it. It had the original hubcaps with 14" wheels. It also had the stick on side trim that I removed shortly after.
I agree, the 406 will grenade that Saginaw 4-spd. You might have to swap to a Tremec ,WC T-5, or T-56....or a Muncie 4-spd.
Cool wagon overall.

jmsteen

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2012
outsider_27 said:
You say it's been sitting for 3-4 years, but those plates are at least 15 years old. Looks good body wise though, good luck with it.

Yessir, the owner (an old farmer ive known for a long time, very honest, modest, and as good of a man as any) told me he brought a jumper pack out to it and started it occasionally but the last time had been 3-4 years ago. He said his kids all drove it and joked about it calling it "the cloud"! Hes never really planned on selling but i talked him into selling it after i finally asked about it after all those years it had been sitting behind his house. He said the only stipulation is he wants to see it after its all finished. I might even have "the cloud" incorporated into it somehow

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
NICE FIND.. there was one up in reno nevada i wish i could have got it... keep the pics coming!!

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
lol i snagged that one in reno nv bro

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor