1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buckets

Discussion in 'Interior' started by RustBucket, Mar 31, 2018.

1. RustBucket

RustBucket Apprentice

Reading a thread about bucket seats and someone said that Pontiac Sunfire seats were a direct fit. Well I went to the junkyard and snagged a pair just to find out THEY DO NOT fit direct. I had go to the hardware store to buy some brackets and hardware to make them fit. The back also slopes down so I had to get longer bolts and put spacers on them for the back. I don't have a fab shop or air tools so I didn't have much to work with. Well here are the results hope y'all like them.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. oldsmobile joe

oldsmobile joe G-Body Guru

did you use the sunbird seat tracks?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. pagrunt

pagrunt Royal Smart Person

I would be safe to say you used the Sunfires seat tracks. That might be the fit issue. The best fix could/should be a set of A/G tracks. I'm under the belief that most GM buckets interchange but need to use the tracks for vehicle having the seats installed in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pagrunt

pagrunt Royal Smart Person

And again slow on the keys.

5. axisg

axisg Royal Smart Person

^^ what he said. But as you were going from bench to buckets you would not have the Gbody seat tracks. Good on you for making it work like a hot-rodder !

• Like Like x 2
  6. RustBucket

RustBucket Apprentice

I think it may had been buckets or 60/40s from before because it has bolts on all 4 corners of each seat. But I must of not read about the seat tracks. But either way I didn't have any, just the bench seat track. N that's a no go. But thanks for checking them out!

7. clean8485

clean8485 Royal Smart Person

Rustbucket, I'm probably the person that you're referring to. I've installed Sunfire buckets in my '80 Malibu, and mid '90s Grand Am buckets in my '84 Monte. I've tried to emphasize that most (but not necessarily all) GM bucket seats since the late 1970s have the same seat track bolt mounting pattern on the bottom of the seats, so the '78-'88 A/G body bucket seat tracks (not necessarily the 60/40 seat tracks) will bolt up to them. The seats are a direct bolt-in, as long as you use the correct A/G body bucket seat tracks. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. RustBucket

RustBucket Apprentice

Could have been but if I knew about swapping seat tracks then I probably wouldn't of looked for seats knowing then that I didn't have bucket seat tracks. I wouldn't of tried to improvise making brackets. Thanks for the info though.

9. Doug213xrj

Doug213xrj Royal Smart Person

Most if not all GM bucket seats will bolt in a G-body, BUT must use G-body bucket or bench seat frames.

Doug