Buick 3.8 to Olds 307

Status
Not open for further replies.

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
Aight so the 3.8 in the bonne is done for, but I found a complete 307, carb to pan, starter, pulleys, etc...
My question is, what else will I need for the swap? I'm assuming I'll need to grab the computer for the 307 correct? any chance the harness will work and I could just swap the computer?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
413Cutlass said:
Aight so the 3.8 in the bonne is done for, but I found a complete 307, carb to pan, starter, pulleys, etc...
My question is, what else will I need for the swap? I'm assuming I'll need to grab the computer for the 307 correct? any chance the harness will work and I could just swap the computer?

As noted, the frame mounts, motor mounts, accessory brackets, and starter are all different from Buford to Olds. You'll need all those. The harness does have some differences between the V6 and 307. If you're planning on keeping the CCC system, then yes, you'll need the harness and computer. There are also differences from year-to-year, so be sure the computer and harness come from the same car. Note that the CCC harness is a stand-alone harness that comes out the passenger side of the firewall, below the HVAC box. You need to pull the inner fender to remove the bolted-on seal on the firewall that allows you to pull the harness through. You will also need to reroute or lengthen many of the other wires on the engine harness, since things like starter and distributor are in different places. Alternately, just get the engine harness also.

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
Sweet, just talked to the guy I'm gettin the engine from and he said anything I want with the motor he'll throw in at no extra charge, plus he's going to label all the wires and bag any bolts, mounts, etc.

Blazenlotus

G-Body Guru
Mar 4, 2010
Stockton, MO
I know when I swapped motors in my car I had to use the old powersteering pump on the new motor because the lines were different. Just a heads up because it was not fun to find that out after I had it set back down in the car.

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
Hmm, well I will keep this in mind. But I do beleive I'm gettin the hoses with the pump, so I'll see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor