Building a bracket g-body cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drgcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2013
Drgcutlass said:
What's up guys. New here. Great forum! I'm building a 86 cutlass for bracket racing. Gonna keep it able to back on street if that ever comes about. But will be 99.5% drag. Was thing of going with a 383 a turbo 400 w a trans brake. I have a bolt in 9" with a brace. And orderd a cage from alston race cars. And plan to go with there upper and lower bars and a anti roll kit. And notch the rear frame rails. Fiberglass hood and bumpers. Kirkey racing seats. Disc brakes. Manual steering of some kind. Doing the body work first then chassis and then paint and so on. Want to run 10.80s if possible. Any help or insight or advice is cool. I do have a shot at a power glide with 1.82 plant all fresh with a trans brake just so u know. And Brodix Trac 1 heads and just found a great deal on a 377 . That's all what I got to work with

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
Better put that sucker on a diet to go 10.80's. Anything done to the heads? Whats the motor setup, I know you said 383 but what else? The rest looks good.

Drgcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2013
Some porting. I helped build a friends 86 with a383 dart pro 1 215 heads and dart intake. .672 lift roller. 11:3:1 comp. full interior only a fiberglass hood. Th350 with a 8" converter and a 9 " rear 4:30 gear. 28x 10 rears. Hotckin upper and lowers. A 6 poing cage . T-topps power windows and seats and a radio . Car runs 11.10 at 122

Poboyracin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 29, 2012
Baton Rouge, La
Race gas or pump gas? Solid roller cam? I would leave the 377 where it's at unless it was built using an aftermarket block. GM 400 blocks have some weak points.

The track 1 heads are a good head when ported by the right person. I had a set on a 11:1 383 with a Comp 12-900-9 solid roller, Super Victor intake, and 1.6 rockers. In a 3540# Chevelle it would run 10.90's on pump gas. That was with an ATI 8" converter, 4.10 gears, and 28x11.50 ET streets.

A manual gearbox out of an S10 will bolt on.

Drgcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2013
Well it's set now. I got a 358 with eagle 4340 lightweight crank and eagle rods and PBM pistons will be 13:1 with 64 chamber heads. So race gas, solid roller cam.... And body use the pro comp cnc heads? The 377 not gonna happen

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
I've heard many bad comments on pro comp products. Story goes that you need to buy the head bare, then put your own valve train in the heads. What happened to the Track 1's?

Drgcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2013
Well you guys are gonna thing I'm nuts! The Trac 1s are on my bench. Back out of the 358. Ran into a deal that was way to good to be true. A 468 big block. Eagle rotating assembly 4340 -JE pistons. Pan an roller cam . Internal balance and came with flexplate and balancer. Bought tonight. Will post some pics. But keep in mind I just got and it in transformation mode. Orderd a cage from alston race card today also. :idea:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,350

bbcolds

Apprentice
Nov 1, 2009
Malin OR
Putting in a big block makes sense to me(Am a big block person). Only thing I would ad is to not use the powerglide if it has the stock 1.82 gear set. They are very weak and WILL break in short order. You can compare them with a 1.76 on the internet and see why. I run a glide in mine but the only thing stock is the high gear hub, Did use the 1.76 gear set into the 9's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor