bumper absorbers delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
I would like to modify the bumper absorbers by cutting away the portion that extends in frame ,so that only the attaching part between the bumper skin and frame would stay ....there is gas in those ,,,anyone ever modified those ...any injury hazard ?

in the great GM book they show how to drill a hole in the small reservoir ...but i want to get rid of the reservoir itself and empty the whole thing except like mentionned the bracket parts ....
I saw once a car bumper explode when car was on fire ....

I already cut away most of the bumper reinforcement....to keep only the portion behind the absorbers

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I used a 1/4" drill and wrapped a rag around it just in case. Then you can cut away once it drains.

No problems, just use common sense.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
thanks ,
I did it your way ....gas was still in there for sure : I heard a whosshh lollllll

I greatly diminish the reinforcment to the point of keeping only about 5 inches wide at each bracket .and then I drilled the part to make it look like swiss cheese ...then the absorbers are cut away and emptied from tube + fluid ...

saved 47 pounds by doing this ......with the alum heads +alum intake + headers + tubular A arms ,i most have cut 150 pounds off the front ......

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor