Buying a 1980 GP.Can someone tell me about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcrusep86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2010
Im buying a 1980 GP on sunday for 800 bucks.t-top.new tires.breaks.paint and runs and sound new with 120k miles on it and i was trying to do research but cant find anything like it from 1980 does anyone know what model came with the t tops and a little more about it than me..just from this picture?
gp.jpg

I've had a 1980 GP along with many other years and that looks like a nice one for the money. As far as the T-tops go, it was an option so it could have been with different models but that one is most likely an LJ model, luxury. That grille looks like a 79 though see how the bottom grilles don't exactly match the top one? Also looks like he removed all the emblems and chrome trim.

Yeah i compared the grills and it does not look like a 80. Maybe the guy has no idea what he has..either way im buying it sunday and will know more about it when i get the title and look up the vin number..thanks

Bcrusep86 said:
But this one also has the GP tail lights..did they only come on the 80's?
Actually that is one of the ways to distinguish between a 79 and 80 was the tail lights. the 79 had vertical lines in them and the 80 was more open with a GP emblem in the middle of them. Heres the 79 tail lights http://image.highperformancepontiac.com ... ckview.jpg and heres the 80 http://image.highperformancepontiac.com ... prix-2.jpg but i've seen 1980 ones on 79's and vise versa they are interchangeable.

Clean looking car. I'm guessing it has a 301 and T-350 trans. No computer headaches.

Do the GP tail lights from a 80 fit on a 79? or is it a 80 with a 79 grill? ill post more pics and what i know about it monday when i tag it.

I had two 1980 Grand Prixs. For 1980 this car was offered in three models. Base, LJ and sportier SJ. The base car had a solid bench seat and less exterior chrome and the stand up hood ornament was optional. The LJ was considered the luxury and the SJ was the sporty model with bucket seats, center console, guages and rear sway bar attached to the F41 suspension and 301 4BBL W-72 V8. All models could be had with T-tops as an option. What engine does yours have? Is it the original motor? If so you could get a 231 V6, 265 V8 or two different 301 4 BBL V8's, one with 145 Hp and the other 170.

Bucket seats with console and it has a 301 in it..ill have to take a look under it and see if there is a sway bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor