California DMV True Story/Rant

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I don't use the term "illegal" as a pejorative or as some xenophobic Bubba. It's the actual, legal term for "undocumented" immigrants. :)

My point too, but in more cynical, even sarcastic terms. :mrgreen:

There would have been an "immigration deal" years and years ago already, had businesses that rely on illegals not been opposed to any law that would require normal wages and benefits for them as legals, and labor unions not been opposed to any law that would not. I suppose the media, being in a business with unions that relies on advertising from businesses that rely on illegals, play both ends against the middle.

So I figure you're safe on the politics thing. It's all about business.

Last edited:

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
A Flowmaster?
Isn't that a $1000 fine in California? You must be a true outlaw. J/k nice wagon and congrats to have it back on the road.

• Happy
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
A Flowmaster?
Isn't that a $1000 fine in California? You must be a true outlaw. J/k nice wagon and congrats to have it back on the road.

It would be if the engine had any kind of compression or power. It has neither. :LOL: Just a mellow, semi-convincing rumble. Only kinda-sorta sounds like a V-8 at idle. Rest of the time, it sounds like a UPS truck with bronchitis.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
It would be if the engine had any kind of compression or power. It has neither. :LOL: Just a mellow, semi-convincing rumble. Only kinda-sorta sounds like a V-8 at idle. Rest of the time, it sounds like a UPS truck with bronchitis.

Do all cars in CA have to pass the emissions test ? No cutoff year ? How the heck do you guys build cars out there ?

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Do all cars in CA have to pass the emissions test ? No cutoff year ? How the heck do you guys build cars out there ?

Cut-off year is 1975. Anything newer than that needs to be smogged. And to pass smog, it has to be either all stock, or everything on it has to have a CARB approval number. Engine swaps have to be same model year or newer of vehicle they're going into, and must have all factory emissions equipment (i.e. cats, air pump, etc.) from the donor vehicle. Yeah, sucks...But it is what it is.

Last edited:

g9s8r

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2018
Cut-off year is 1975. Anything newer than that needs to be smogged. And to pass smog, it has to be either all stock, or everything on it has to have a CARB approval number. Engine swaps have to be same model year or newer of vehicle they're going into, and must have all factory emissions equipment (i.e. cats, air pump, etc.) from the donor vehicle. Yeah, sucks...But it is what it is.

Engine swaps have to come from same classification too. I just read/learned that this past week. Passenger car to passenger car. Light duty truck to light duty truck. Heavy duty truck to heavy duty truck. No mixing. Of course, as you stated, also from same model year or newer. I figured that if it passes smog with no foolery, than who cares but...after you do a swap of a non factory engine it must go through a referee to get a sticker/tag of approval which will detail the approved engine/smog system and then any smog station can test it after that.
...or pay a handful more and get it done under the table. But, with the new exhaust modification in CALI...Not sure its worth that route anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
What happens if you want more cylinders? Can you swap over to a V8 setup if you bring along all the fiddly bits that came with the year/car/engine?

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
What happens if you want more cylinders? Can you swap over to a V8 setup if you bring along all the fiddly bits that came with the year/car/engine?

Yes. As long as it’s car-to-car (i.e. can’t swap a truck engine into a car), and same model year or newer than vehicle it’s going into. Also must have all emissions equipment from donor vehicle.

Must take it to a state-authorized referee station (usually at a community college) where they go over it with a fine-tooth comb. If they approve it, you get a special sticker verifying emissions compliance.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor