camero suspention on gbody

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbird1986

Greasemonkey
Aug 20, 2009
Indianapolis
so i heard that f body cameros rear coils can be used on our g bodys in the rear for a 1inch drop... so if i get 2 inch lowering coils will that drop my rear 3inch? and can i use thier front coils as well?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I heard that too and there was a topic about that a month or so ago. I can't vouch for the rears but in front I am useing 79' Firebird Formula springs in my 83' Bonneville for a 3" increase in height. So don't use 2nd gen front springs for lowering.

Attachments

• IMG_20130306_135454_750.jpg
    IMG_20130306_135454_750.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_20130306_135512_712.jpg
    IMG_20130306_135512_712.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 355

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
i guess that would be cheaper if you are goin to just grab some stock ones out of a wreckin yard. but if you are goin to buy new springs why not just buy a g body spring? that way you know the spring rate is correct or closer to being correct. and i would almost bet my lunch money that the g body springs would be cheaper than the camaro springs just beacuse they are camaro springs. check out the stance on my car i believe the springs are eibak and they are 1 one inch drop and the the front is down an inch and a half or two inches

78 Green Lemans

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2009
Penticton BC Canada
I have F-body coils from a 84 z28 that were only a month old when i took them out of the Z and put them in my lemans. The rears are cargo coils so i didnt get all the drop, not even sure how much i got because my stock rear coils were sagged badly. You have to use the upper spring isolator from the F-body on the rear because they are an open coil opposed to a pigtail like the G-body coils.
The front fit right in but i cant say again for sure how much drop i got as i did 2" spindles as well. Im sure i got atleast an inch out of the front coils though. It has a much firmer ride now, especially in corners.

I may try the rears out of my iroc to see how much difference there is in the non variable rate (cargo) coils. I liked the idea of the cargo's though, since i have kids and a system in my car as well as tools at times. Its nice not to be dragging the *ss everywhere.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Re: camaro suspension on gbody

I had Moog 5662 springs in the front of my '87 which are replacements for 3rd Gen IROC's. I also have the 3rd Gen F-body rear cargo coils in the back of it and my brother's '81.
As said, you need to use the rear rubber isolators out of the Camaro/Firebird. They can still be bought new from GM under part number 10290379. Cost is $15.72 each from http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

For the cargo coils you can cut them to drop the car wherever you need.

Another trick I've seen done is to use coil over springs in place of the stock springs. There's almost an infinite amount of different spring rates and heights with the coil over springs that should make getting the car where you want it pretty easy.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Check my build thread for specifics, I have rear f-body coils on... I think a little over an inch drop, no isolators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor