can i set air bags up like air shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
i am worndering if i can set up a set of air bags like air shocks.if i put air shocks in the fornt and rear of my car and run the 4 air lines to 2 valve steams one for the fornt bags and one for the rear bags would it work?i wouldent mind having the ride of a air suspension but i dont want the pump tank and switchis thats y im worndering if i can just set them up like air shocks.i dont kno much about costum suspension work so it just soumthing i as woundering if it would even work

yes, but to go the extra step of having the ability to adjust your height without having to be at a gas station or home, its not that hard to wire it all up, the most difficult part is to make it clean and the fab work, which is what you would have to do to mount the bags, unless bolt on, you will have to cut the front spring pocket regardless...

if you just wanted something simple, do this and you will have control of the set up, will be slow as hell (up and down) but better than not running anything

one line to the front, with a t and a line to each bag and the same for the rear

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FIP-2178/?rtype=10

ok i have the bags lines and fitting.i dont have the fornt and rear upper and lower brackets and was worndering it anyone one here had pics of a set of bolt on brackets thay could post pics and maybe measurements of cuz i would like to try and make my own brackets b4 just buying them .i dont mind that it would be slow up and down and as far as a pump for now im just tryin to go cheap with her i do have a air tire pump that pulgs in the cig lighter to bering her up when needs be for now.would i still have to cut the spring pockets if i ues bolt on brackets im not looking to lower it to the frame at most a 2'' drop out of it

yeah iv seen tho posts b4 but im not looking to go that low at all.but ok if i make my own brackets and just run the lines to a valve steem like i was sayin it will work?also iv seen bolt on kits that u dont have to cut anything and my firestone bas look just like the ones in the bolt on kits so if im only looking for at most 2'' would i still have to cut the spring pockets.im only looking for 1'' and a half lower really but if im goin to bag it 2'' is the most id go down

cutlass79 said:
yeah iv seen tho posts b4 but im not looking to go that low at all.but ok if i make my own brackets and just run the lines to a valve steem like i was sayin it will work?also iv seen bolt on kits that u dont have to cut anything and my firestone bas look just like the ones in the bolt on kits so if im only looking for at most 2'' would i still have to cut the spring pockets.im only looking for 1'' and a half lower really but if im goin to bag it 2'' is the most id go down
yes you can if you wanted to, the smaller diameter bag will work without cutting the spring pocket, if you can make your own brackets thats great and will save some money...

you could make a slightly taller bag bracket, so that the bottom of the upper bag bracket is flush with the bottom of the spring pocket and a bigger bag may not rub at all...

pm the guys in the threads to confirm...

I would not do a two way system increases body roll and when u start adding weight like people etc things will be uneven I would a 4 way setup a basic 4 way setup with tank valves bags runs around 1300 I'm currently guna bag my 79 olds and its costing me around 1700 for everything

1 more thing a smaller bag requires more psi to get it ride height so increasing ride stiffness and etc bigger bag less psi needed and a more stable comfortable riding

this is what you want to do right? I hooked it up like this to test the front, my setup will have full air management....

[youtube]mOysrX0Q71E[/youtube]

used a t fitting and a Schrader valve

also if you use a nice set of adj shocks (which you will have to relocate), then it will make the ride nice... you dont need adj, but will give you the ability to stiffen or soften it all up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor