can you supercharge a 3.8 v6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfurches

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2011
as far as trim, thats something you are going to have to choose carefully.

I am personally a big fan of ATI products (procharger). I have had good luck with there products, and the customer support is nice as well.

Being a small cubic inch motor, and I am assuming you are leaving it stock (as far as cast pistons, rods and crank)....so with that in mind, you wont need any monster unit....

http://procharger.com/models.shtml

...honestly you wouldn't need anything more then a C1

Alot of mustang guys start off with P1sc head-units and upgrade...and you can usually pick them up pretty cheap, but just keep pulley size in mind. When you get it, you would want to run a larger pulley then what they shipped with (you are almost 100ci down from a typical 302, and that's what the base pulley will be geared towards). Your best bet would be to call Procharger and talk to them about your motor, goals, usage and etc.

Again....any time dealing with blow-through stuff...I only recommend it if you are pretty handy and have decent carburetor knowledge (or can pick it up really quick). The only way to keep these cast motors together under boost is to keep detonation away. Play it safe and don't get greedy.

bfurches

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2011
I dunno about your area, but around here I see the P1sc alot going for 4-600 for rebuilt or low mileage headunits... a c series might be a little less?

bfurches

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2011
since it is not really a high demand blower...you are probably going to have to call an ATI dealer...

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
A lot of rustang guys start out with prochargers and then eventually sell their broken pieces of inefficient junk and buy a vortech. The v2 is a good supercharger, you can get them with less mileage than v1's and they're a little more efficient. The difference between the two is the v1's have straight cut gears and the v2s are helical cut. It makes the v2's have less noise and less susceptible to alignment tweaks and changes at higher boost (you probably don't have to worry bout that in the 3.8 though). I have a v1 sitting in my floor right now and I'm trying to preach about their reliability :lol: The kit I bought was off an old s10 with something around 150K -200K miles on it with his supercharger on there half those miles. I got 30,000 miles out of it till rebuild time. And search around, 100,000miles + on a head unit thats 20 years old with no rebuild is pretty impressive. Rebuild is in order, going to press the bearings at some point, its a pretty simple and effective design but the engineering and clearances in the machine work is outstanding. I do not agree that ATI's customer service is all that great. Vortech's is better. The procharger uses more power, spins take more torque at lower rpm and inherently make lower power at that rpm (both of these things about the procharger will hurt your 3.8 power a LOT). The v1 and v2 are oil feed, make sure to get an oil feed procharger if you do happen to buy one. Stay away from any centrifugal supercharger or turbo that does not have an oil feed or drain.

About this idea, I'd say stop right now while you're ahead. You can't just slap a s/c (especially a centrifugal one) on a carbureted engine and hope it works. I would strongly urge you to look into it thoroughly. The more you look into it the more you'll find its a better idea to have fuel injected engine to go this route. At the very least something with a quality and tune-able ignition. Or just get a v8. My guestimate is you're going to spend 3000-4000$ to have your engine where you want it on stock internals and be reliable. And it will have 230hp if you're lucky. If you don't have the means to modify an eaton m90 then I'd recommend to move far away from this idea.

edit - one more thing, the 3.8 s/c crowd is usually all about boost quality, not psi. Take a look on the GTP sites to see what I mean, no ones running seriously high boost on the average car and they're making tons of power. 3.8 IMO is not a good candidate for centr s/c

1985cutlasssupreme

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2011
Bay Area , Ca
custom442 said:
A lot of rustang guys start out with prochargers and then eventually sell their broken pieces of inefficient junk and buy a vortech. The v2 is a good supercharger, you can get them with less mileage than v1's and they're a little more efficient. The difference between the two is the v1's have straight cut gears and the v2s are helical cut. It makes the v2's have less noise and less susceptible to alignment tweaks and changes at higher boost (you probably don't have to worry bout that in the 3.8 though). I have a v1 sitting in my floor right now and I'm trying to preach about their reliability :lol: The kit I bought was off an old s10 with something around 150K -200K miles on it with his supercharger on there half those miles. I got 30,000 miles out of it till rebuild time. And search around, 100,000miles + on a head unit thats 20 years old with no rebuild is pretty impressive. Rebuild is in order, going to press the bearings at some point, its a pretty simple and effective design but the engineering and clearances in the machine work is outstanding. I do not agree that ATI's customer service is all that great. Vortech's is better. The procharger uses more power, spins take more torque at lower rpm and inherently make lower power at that rpm (both of these things about the procharger will hurt your 3.8 power a LOT). The v1 and v2 are oil feed, make sure to get an oil feed procharger if you do happen to buy one. Stay away from any centrifugal supercharger or turbo that does not have an oil feed or drain.

About this idea, I'd say stop right now while you're ahead. You can't just slap a s/c (especially a centrifugal one) on a carbureted engine and hope it works. I would strongly urge you to look into it thoroughly. The more you look into it the more you'll find its a better idea to have fuel injected engine to go this route. At the very least something with a quality and tune-able ignition. Or just get a v8. My guestimate is you're going to spend 3000-4000$ to have your engine where you want it on stock internals and be reliable. And it will have 230hp if you're lucky. If you don't have the means to modify an eaton m90 then I'd recommend to move far away from this idea.

edit - one more thing, the 3.8 s/c crowd is usually all about boost quality, not psi. Take a look on the GTP sites to see what I mean, no ones running seriously high boost on the average car and they're making tons of power. 3.8 IMO is not a good candidate for centr s/c
do you think its possible to get a grand national intake on my 3.8 since its the same motor then my car can be fuel injected if i do that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor