Can't ID a part

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
Sorry everyone, but I need some help figuring out what this is called and where to find one. I have this tube that goes from the air cleaner on the passenger side, there's another I am missing that should be on the driver's side. Anyone off the top of their head know?
20181125_162815.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
PCV valve goes in the other side, if it's a Chevrolet engine

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Positive Crankcase Ventilation connector tube between the fresh air intake system and the rectangular thingy do that leaks oil all the time

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
PCV valve goes in the other side, if it's a Chevrolet engine
Yes it is a Chevy I should have said that first, '84 305sbc. I have the one in the picture and I think the missing one in question is also a different shape slightly? Any idea where I can buy one?

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Your tube is about identical to a couple I have sitting on a shelf in my shop. The long side of the "Ell" plugs into a grommet that is fitted into the internal baffle in the passenger side rocker cover, if memory serves. The other, shorter leg, plugs into a short length of rubber hose that is in turn attached to the nipple of the breather "air cleaner" pocket that you will find hanging off the inside of the stock air cleaner body. These can be either white or black pvc plastic and are held in place with a two prong or finger clip than both helps the square shoulder on the pvc body to locate in the matching hole in the air cleaner and secures it in place as well. Rather than trying to buy one, why not take a trip to your local salvage yard and see if they have a bunch of these tubes sitting in a box or pail or on a shelf somewhere or even barn fresh out in the yard if you use a pick your part. The shape of the bend can vary, but it can be compensated for to some degree by using a slightly longer section of rubber hose as opposed to what is there. The hose itself is generic, I used heater hose in the right inner diameter on a few occasions when the old chunk that died from oil rot or heat hardening.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Yes it is a Chevy I should have said that first, '84 305sbc. I have the one in the picture and I think the missing one in question is also a different shape slightly? Any idea where I can buy one?

They only used the one standpipe, the other side takes the PCV valve, which is connected to the base of the carb via hose..

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
Thank you everyone, I was mistaken thinking I was missing a tube from the air cleaner. The hole was actually for the air pump that was taken off. I'm lucky you guys were here, thanks again.

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
Heres one more while I have this thread open. One wire is broken on this pigtail and I'm wondering if this has something to do with the air pump?

Attachments

• 20181128_135123.jpg
    20181128_135123.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 150

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Heres one more while I have this thread open. One wire is broken on this pigtail and I'm wondering if this has something to do with the air pump?
Almost looks like some type of VOES switch that may or may not have had something to do with your AC. VOES stands for Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch and the reason I suggest the possibility is that a lot of the controls that governed the climate in the cabin used vacuum delivered to them in thin plastic tubing to operate the various functions. Basically the VOES switch needs either a steady supply of vacuum to make/break the electrical connection or the electrical side of the switch is itself the initiator, with the actual switch being on the dash and supplying power to the VOES to permit vacuum to be fed to wherever. Just thinking aloud here.

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
Almost looks like some type of VOES switch that may or may not have had something to do with your AC. VOES stands for Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch and the reason I suggest the possibility is that a lot of the controls that governed the climate in the cabin used vacuum delivered to them in thin plastic tubing to operate the various functions. Basically the VOES switch needs either a steady supply of vacuum to make/break the electrical connection or the electrical side of the switch is itself the initiator, with the actual switch being on the dash and supplying power to the VOES to permit vacuum to be fed to wherever. Just thinking aloud here.
I appreciate it, anything helps. It's odd because I can find similar style connectors but none with two prongs. I tried matching up pictures from RockAuto for example and had no luck. I'll keep digging through the factory service manual I bought. The wiring has gotten brittle as we all know so I'm finding melted wires and broken vacuum hoses all over while doing a once over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor