Can't read check engine codes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rip1976

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2012
83 MC recently bought it and I've got an issue with the torque convertor not locking and I've got a check engine light on. Ran by a buddys shop today to hook his scanner to it and it said no communication. So when I got home I tried to manually pull the codes by jumping A & B pins. When I did that the check engine light dosen't blink it just glows dim. Anyone have any ideals?

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
I would go get a good electrical cleaner and first try cleaning out the diagnostic port.Make sure it is a cleaner for electronics,it will nont harm plastic or leave residue,i use QD electronic cleaner.I would also check your wires and grounds.I did have a computer go bad on 84 camaro,it still ran just ran like crap.

rip1976

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2012
I doubt its a connection issue since I can't get it to read doing it with a jumper. The car runs fine just has a check engine light and convertor won't engage

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Was this CE light being on a recent thing or has it always been on since you bought the car? When you turn the key on ( but not start the car ) does your CE light and your other idiot lights come on?

rip1976

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2012
Guessing it had been on for awhile someone had removed the bulb lol. I had a feeling the bulb was blown or out because I noticed the light was not coming on during the key cycle.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
So now I'm confused. Is your CE light on or off? We need some clear details.

rip1976

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2012
Re: Can't read check engine codeso

Bought the car the ses light was not on but convertor wouldn't lockup. Noticed the ses light was not lighting when the key was turned on so I pulled the dash and found there was no bulb. Put a bulb in and the light came on all the time. So I tried to pull te codes with a scanner and it said no communication with the computer. Then I tried jumping A&B and the ses light does not flash any codes not even the 12 all it does is glows dim when the pins A&B are jumped.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
OK, just to be certain, but when you jump the terminals, you have the engine off and the key to the ON position right?

Actually before anything, you should check your ECM fuse.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
what transmission do you got? depending on what transmission it might be controlled by vacum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor