Car Hauler Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I prefer the slip-collar Bulldog, completely encloses the ball, and is less loosey-goosey than every Atwood style I've come across (though none of them were "brand new"

Wood deck is cheaper to buy, still slippery when wet, and rot from the word go. Plus, 2023 lumber prices. First shop I worked at had a wood-floored 16' utility, those deck screws suck when it's time to change the decking. Maybe if you painted/sealed the deck top and bottom and kept it inside, it'd be better.i

I HATE side-load ramps, mine come out the rear

FOOD FOR THOUGHT about 15" wheels....there are currently NO 15" trailer tires made in the USA. My 9900GVW trailer has 16s on it (6 lug 5200# axles)

IMO, the shield on the front looks like it'd be a major wind drag when empty/not needed. But then again, I tend to haul less-than-perfect stuff

I know a guy that owned/pulled a Featherlite aluminum behind his half-ton, fought cracks the whole time he had it (bought it new, OKla roads suck). Sold it and bought a steel trailer and a 3/4 ton truck.
My neighbor got his from his friend that passed away, who bought it new. His featherlite is mint. Only issue is a smashed left fender, from someone running it over after they took it off to load a car. Of course my neighbor is ocd about how he cares for pretty much everything he owns.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
You say that about skipping cross members in the middle, until you use your trailer for other than cars and sink something through it. I would like the load capability to be equal throughout the whole thing. Couple pieces of C Channel I'll add weight to have capability.

Just to be clear. I would not cut the crossmember out of an engineered trailer. Speaking from my own equipment. My open trailer has 4 lengths of rectanglar tubing the length of the trailer, steel deck for each side (open middle) and the same crossmembers for the front and back are all though out the middle. 4 even extend out to hold the fenders. This has too much steel making it a little heavy. My present truck is a 1500HD with a 6L but my last truck was a 97 Silverado 1500 5.7L, there was a few occasions where I wish the trailer was lighter.

I fully understand the idea of having something big enough for any situation but I do not share that view on equipment. Like using a 1/2" drive power bar on an M8 bolt with a 10mm socket. I can see if you can only have 1 tool but a 3500 lbs car on heavy duty trailer gets the crap kicked out of it on a bumpy road.
Hate to sound narrow minded but I used to drive a Class 6 flatbed tow truck. It was great picking up 1 ton trucks but what a waste to bring a Cavalier to a garage. My 1500HD also make me hate 10 ply tires, heavy springs and 8 lugs for commuting but when my enclosed is behind it, as you say, the capability.

So while the popular opinion is get super strong heavy duty everything that will be enough to tow the odd skid steer. I'm just here to say light duty trailers have their advantages too.

I know a guy that owned/pulled a Featherlite aluminum behind his half-ton, fought cracks the whole time he had it (bought it new, OKla roads suck). Sold it and bought a steel trailer and a 3/4 ton truck.
It takes very little skill to weld a steel trailer. You can be learning and as long as you figure it out before 75% of it is done, it will never fall apart. Aluminum is different. Every weld must be professional. Even the starting and stopping of a weld done poorly can eventually crack. My advice if an aluminum trailer is being considered. Bring a certified welder to inspect it before you buy.

I'm not doubting your friend's trailer had cracks. Did he tow empty? A light trailer will jump off the ground on a rough road. Again why hd everything can be overkill.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I knew what you meant, I'm just saying that one time you need to move something odd it's gonna be loaded in that spot where you wanted to build it light.

Murphy's Law...

I posted a picture of my setup on the first page, trailer weighed in at 1960lbs empty without the ramps. Tows nicely behind my truck.

Last edited:

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
My Big Tex weighed 2K empty. I towed all sorts of stuff. The heaviest thing that was on it was a 98 Tahoe and my friend towed it with a 1 ton diesel rack truck. It was his Tahoe. I honestly felt like my 2500 would have a hard time pulling it. I wish I still had the trailer but most of the time I was towing other peoples cars. Theres a meme floating around that says Want friends ? Buy a car trailer. Theres a lot of truth to that. LMAO

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yup, posted that one a while back haha. The day I bought my truck I had 6 phone calls of "hey can you move this". I still get people wanting to borrow my trailer...nope.

T.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor