Car Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onehit

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2013
Old Bridge, New Jersey
I've been with Grundy since 99 and their rates have always been great. At one time my rates doubled and when I called and asked why they said because of the lower agreed value on your cars it raised the rates for some reason. The lady said it would be cheaper to insure both cars for more...go figure, and still I pay less then $400 a year for both cars at a agreed value of 20k each.

Reactions: 1 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Grundy won't touch me because of my points and Hagerty wants $2k a year to insure my aerocoupe for $25k. Im stuck with basic liability for now.

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Grundy here - My Mustang is $134.00 and the 29 Roadster is $183.00
I use Bill Hortons drag racing insurance for the other stuff - trailer, golf cart, tools, spare engines, Regal, and Sonoma, is 600.00 a year.

Chevyman540

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 11, 2016
So far Grundy has been the cheapest, next was ClassicCollectors.com. Now has anyone put in a claim to any one of them. Considering that's why we have insurance. How was the experience of the claim? Considering you get what you pay for, I hate to go with the cheapest and get burnt on any claim that I might have. Not that I want anything to happen to the car.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
It seems a lot of classic or collector insurance requires the vehicle to be stored in a garage. Has that been your guys' experience?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yep, most if not all mandate a garage for daily storage unless being used. I have Hagerty and it's $187/yr for 13k value. I actually need to bump it up now that I finished the frame and suspension replacement.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It seems a lot of classic or collector insurance requires the vehicle to be stored in a garage. Has that been your guys' experience?
Yes. Most, if not all, require that you have a registered and insured "regular" car too. Hagerty was baffled that my daily was a '72 Datsun but my classic was a '79 Cutlass.
There was a time that my daily driver was a '35 Ford and all I could afford was basic liability through Nationwide. I was in an accident and it didn't end well at all. Agreed value on all my toys from here on out.

Reactions: 2 users

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
I have Hagerty @ $275.00 a year on my 1980 Malibu with Antique Plates. Declared value is $10 K with limited mileage per year and does includes full coverage with towing, roadside assistance, and lock out service....

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Be careful with declared value or stated value....that usually means that is the upper limit that they will pay in the event of a total loss, but is NOT a guaranteed amount. They will apply their normal late-model claims methodology to determine value.

Agreed value is what you want.

Additionally, most specialty insurers will require inside storage, and limit the amount/type of use of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor