MONTE CARLO Car Not Cranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumblebum

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2022
Ohio
I picked up an 88 Monte Carlo LS a few months ago to tinker with. I am slowly solving it's little problems. The car was running a few weeks ago aside from the choke light being on and the choke not working it keeps blowing fuses. So I pulled the oil pressure switch out of the china rail to replace it since the choke looks new still. In order to get some room to get a wrench in there I unplugged the two plugs for the distributor module. Anyway parts store didn't have an oil pressure switch in stock so I just put the old one back in. I go to fire up the car and crank it four or five times of not starting and then remember that I forgot to plug the distributor back in. Get the two connectors plugged back in and hop back in the car and get no cranking, no solenoid click, just nothing. car still has power to everything. No fuses blown except the choke. Unplug the distributor again, still nothing, no crank, no solenoid click. I won't get a chance to mess with it again for a few days but when I do I'm gonna check that the solenoid is getting 12V or use a remote switch to see if the starter will crank. I'm guessing the ignition switch or starter? Anything else I should look at? Anything else to check for the choke besides the choke and pressure switch that might be blowing fuses?

Car info: 88 Monte Carlo LS, 305, 2004r, computerized carburetor and all factory wiring and controls are in tact, car has gauges except tachometer.

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
Your starting problem can exist completely independent of the choke and oil sender issues. So ignore those issues and get right back to the battery. You will be checking for voltage and for voltage drops. Clip the VM directly on the battery and check for 12 volts. If yes then turn the key to START position, does the voltage move?

Probably not, which means you have a bad hot connection at the key or solenoid or neutral safety switch. Wiggle the shift lever or try neutral position while trying to start. Then check the negative side of the battery. There should be wires going to the body and to the engine. Disassemble and clean any dirty or rusty connections with sandpaper. If still nothing then clip the VM red lead to the solenoid input and the VM black lead to your ground connections or your neg battery post. You want to see 12 volts at the solenoid, without any voltage drops at junctions along the way. Did you fix it?

Stumblebum

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2022
Ohio
Haven't fixed it yet. Did some diagnostic stuff. Entire car has power. Interior lights, gauges, power seat, etc. 11.8v from battery to engine as ground. Drops to 11.5v on start position. Checked purple wire on ignition switch. 10.7v at start position.

I don't think these cars have a neutral safety switch from the wiring diagrams I saw. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

That leads me to the solenoid. Is there a fusable link on that wire or a fuse of some sort?

That is where I have stopped because i have misplaced my aligator clipped leads and can't really measure and turn the key until I get a second pair of hands or dig out my starter button.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
There is a mechanical neutral safety switch on the column. No wires, just prevents the mechanical operation. There is 2 links at the starter battery post only with one for the starting circuit power & one for the accessory circuit power. The one you're going to have to check should have 2 red wires crimped to it as most 305 cars are wired like that.

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
I found the 2 page wiring diagram. That is right ... no neutral safety switch.

Attachments

• MC 88 wiring front.pdf
    48.9 KB · Views: 115
  • MC 88 wiring rear.pdf
    47.4 KB · Views: 84

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Haven't fixed it yet. Did some diagnostic stuff. Entire car has power. Interior lights, gauges, power seat, etc. 11.8v from battery to engine as ground. Drops to 11.5v on start position. Checked purple wire on ignition switch. 10.7v at start position.

I don't think these cars have a neutral safety switch from the wiring diagrams I saw. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

That leads me to the solenoid. Is there a fusable link on that wire or a fuse of some sort?

That is where I have stopped because i have misplaced my aligator clipped leads and can't really measure and turn the key until I get a second pair of hands or dig out my starter button.
What is the volts when it's running?

I can almost guarantee, that it's either a bad connection at the battery or starter.

Check to see if the cable is damaged also too man!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I found the 2 page wiring diagram. That is right ... no neutral safety switch.
There won't be any wires for the starting curcuit as it's a mecanical set up like I noted in my last post. There is a tang that goes into the column to physically prevent the mechanical part of the ignition switch from being able to complete the electrical circuit to engage the starter unless the transmission is shifted to Park or Neutral. It will also include the back up light switch & depending on the year, a switch for the CCC to know if the car is in gear or not. Look up in the steering section in a factory service manual (section 3B) to find info on the switch & the proper alignment of the back up/neutral safety & ignition switches when replacing.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Stumblebum

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2022
Ohio
At this point I pretty much checked everything and am getting voltage where I need to up top. I've been too busy with other things today to jack up the car and check the starter connections. If I get a little time tomorrow I will check that.

If it does need a starter would one out of an 02 4.3 S10 Blazer work? If so I got one I can rip off a parts car.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If it does need a starter would one out of an 02 4.3 S10 Blazer work? If so I got one I can rip off a parts car.
Yes & no, depends on the starter bolt pattern. They are either staggered or in line. If both match swap them. The Blazer's will be smaller & lighter than the Monte's.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Choke light on probably due to diode trio being bad in the alternator. Not allowing full output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor